Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont understand, my fish died :-? :( i am a fish fanatic i do 60% water changes weekly, nitrates always under 20ppm, temp of 77deg. tons of filltration. I just dont get it! he showed no real sines of anything, no abnormal groths, no stomach bloat, nothing. The only info i have is about a week ago i was observing their behavior and noticed (the one that died)he was'nt eating as much or as active as he normaly was, i also niticed he would always hide. yesterday i looked at him and his stomach looked sucked in. has anybody had this problem before? any help is appreciated, thx.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How big was he? Size of tank? 60% water changes can be extremely stressful IMO. I would only do a 20% My fish tank is between 80-82 degrees.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Might have been bloat. Did he completely stop eating a few days before he died?

As a precaution I would perhaps treat the tank with something like Jungle Parasite Clear or feed them metronidazole soaked food. The problem with bloat is that it usually goes after one fish at a time so even though your other fish may appear to be fine they are at risk.

On the large weekly water changes, IMO, that's fine. It can get stressful for your fish if you go for a long period of time with no water changes and then suddenly do a large change because then the new water parameters may be significantly different from the tank and that can cause problems. A good quality declorinator is also required if your water changes are large.

Sorry you lost the fish. Sounds like you take good care of your tank but unfortunately bloat can find it's way in just about anywhere.

Robin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts