Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local LFS had a cichlid in from a surrender that they couldn’t identify. It’s shaped like most CA cichlids and it’s bottom half is jet black and top half is a bluish silver. No stripes or spotting. Any idea what it could be? I’m realizing now that I should have took a picture, I’ll probably stop by again tomorrow and try to grab one. They were thinking possibly black nasty or madagascar but it didn’t look much like those to me. It was in with a ton of Convicts twice it’s size and was definitely running the tank

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Send Pitchers! (Pics) Or, we'll never be able to ID this thing... :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to find this thumbnail after some searching but there is no name to go with it, I’m pretty sure this is the one. The colors are the same although the one at the store was a little thicker bodied
Water Fin Organism Underwater Fish supply

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The fish pictured is herichthys Bartoni.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
That is Herichthys bartoni in breeding coloration. But there is more then one Herichthys species with that pattern in breeding coloration. For example, Herichthys labridens also has a similar color pattern in breeding coloration, though the top half is more yellow.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Looks good to me! And no... I wouldn't necessarily compare any, rather pugnacious, Hericthys type Cichlid with the Super-Guapote' Parachromis dovii.
Dovii are open water, apex-level predators in their native environment. These brutes are just really big, powerfully built and are just about always hungry. They are truly capable of eating well, pretty much anything that will (or sometimes doesn't) fit in their mouth. The Hericthys types on the other hand, are surly, loner types once adult size is attained. In the wild, mature males will establish a territory and pretty much defend it against all comers! Community, aquarium-keeping compatibility? Hah! Those things just barely tolerate the presence of other Hericthys - in The Wild!
The spawning coloration of that pictured, H. bartoni is pretty odd, however. Maybe its a female? Those, like a lot of other CA female Cichlids will probably do a spawning run of eggs from time to time - completely on their own! No babies when that happens.... but, don't tell Mom Fish that. A Red Devil or Midas that does the lone egg laying thing, will completely wreck just about anything else in the tank protecting those infertile eggs (including your hand, if you're not careful). :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts