Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i went to a pet store which was selling chiclids at a low price as they where getting rid of them. they did not know what fish they where i am hoping somone could tell me what they are? i bought 4 fish 2 of each species, they also change colour often and looked completly diffirent when i bought them. if you know what they are could you please give me some info on them so i know what to do with them they look like mbuna to me.

the following two photos is of the first two fish of the same species.

the next two photos are of the other two fish.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS said:
i could be wrong but the first one looks like a sulfer head peacock.
2nd one i dont know.
yes, you are wrong. they are mbuna

1. probably a young Labidochromis "Hongi/ Kimpuna"

2. OB Zebra, looks male and could be OB Metriaclima Mbenjii.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have looked up these fish names you have given me however every picture i see looks a bit diffirent to my fish. the fish i have look the same however pattern and colour is diffirent.

·
Registered
177 Posts
noki said:
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS said:
i could be wrong but the first one looks like a sulfer head peacock.
2nd one i dont know.
yes, you are wrong. they are mbuna

1. probably a young Labidochromis "Hongi/ Kimpuna"

2. OB Zebra, looks male and could be OB Metriaclima Mbenjii.
i know you said i was wrong but my fish looks almost identical to the first fish and when i bought it they said a young sulfer head.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=653

so when i looked it up it looks like the young male pic. wich looks very close to his.
so sorry if i was wrong. i am still learning and thought i would give it a shot.

sincerely, renee

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS said:
so sorry if i was wrong. i am still learning and thought i would give it a shot.

sincerely, renee
Giving it a shot is more than encouraged here Renee, and it wasn't a bad guess. :)

noki certainly didn't mean to sound kurt with you, he is always very helpful and is the almighty guru of identification. Remember that sometimes type can be conveyed as sounding a bit cold if you read it a certain way, it's especially true when people choose not to use emoticons.

An example: Yes you are wrong. :wink:

See what I mean?

I always tell people to picture the person smiling and saying what you're reading, it always makes their responses seem friendlier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Joea said:
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS said:

sincerely, renee
Giving it a shot is more than encouraged here Renee, and it wasn't a bad guess. :)

noki certainly didn't mean to sound kurt with you, he is always very helpful and is the almighty guru of identification. Remember that sometimes type can be conveyed as sounding a bit cold if you read it a certain way, it's especially true when people choose not to use emoticons.

An example: Yes you are wrong. :wink:

See what I mean?

I always tell people to picture the person smiling and saying what you're reading, it always makes their responses seem friendlier.
yes i see what you mean. and thanks for clearing it up. :D

sincerely,
renee

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:eek: i think you are right! i looked at a young sulfer headed peacock and they look very similer you could be wrong but they look almost the same....... i will take a closer look and get better photos so we can get to the bottom of this i wont to know what these fish are! :)

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Just to clear this up, like noki and Joea have stated, #1 is NOT a sulphur head peacock. It's most likely a Labidochromis hongi or a hybrid w/ that in it. Hope that helps! :thumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, my two cents: The very first thing I thought of looking at the first two photos was "juvinile Iodotropheus sprengerae" And that's what I believe it is. I'd bet money on it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
chapman76 said:
Really? A rusty juvie with a blaze like that? Never kept them so I can't say. Would have never crossed my mind.
Nope...Not a Rusty...

Maybe a cross between a Rusty and something else, but not a Rusty.

And, Renee, if you want a real laugh - take a look at some of my id's! :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
chapman76 said:
Really? A rusty juvie with a blaze like that? Never kept them so I can't say. Would have never crossed my mind.
Nope...Not a Rusty...

Maybe a cross between a Rusty and something else, but not a Rusty.

And, Renee, if you want a real laugh - take a look at some of my id's! :lol:
well, i dont think it was a bad guess, but it seems alot of people are thinking different things, so i dont feel so bad not everyone can be right! right? right! :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RIGHT! :)

but i have been looking at rusty pics and my fish look the same in colour and shape is similer however they are young at the moment so i think if we wait a while they could turn into rustys or somthing els who knows but the rusty is the best guess so far.

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah, i know i have a type of rusty as well, a rusty sprung, is this the same fish they speaking of or is this a different type of rusty, cause i know mine looks nothing like this one. mine is all a rusty color and he is young as well. thats why i would have never guessed rusty! but i am pretty sure there must be more than type. :-?

well i hope you do post more pics when he gets older, i am so curious to truly see what a beauty he will turn out to be.... :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts