Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was sold to me as a zebra but it has a very similar coloration to Ps. Acei. Any ideas what it really is?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, it's puzzling. He is very docile (another source of my acei suspicion), in fact, way too docile for a hybrid or a cichlid in general. Either way he's pretty and he has no females to mix with. I'm not toying with breeding until I can get the exact fish I want as either WC or F1.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Not an Acei. Does seem Zebra-ish, and you may never know for sure.

Does the fish ever show barring that comes and fades?

Every fish can show different behavior depending on age, fish they are with, and position in pecking order. Aggression has reasons. Results can vary.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That picture is the darkest barring he every gets.

I know he's not an acei, but with his color and temperament I wonder if he has an acei in his lineage. I know none of my Africans are pure, around here they have "assorted African cichlid" tanks. So I just go by the phenotype I see and hope it's close!

There is really no pecking order at the moment, it's a 75 gallon with only 5 <2" cichlids, they just kind of live and let live. I'm sure when I add more I'll see a pecking order emerge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have what I believe to be the same fish. Same color, temperament, and very light bars that do not show up often so im interested to see what everyone says this guy is!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
A BB Mbuna with a hint of yellow. So glad he has turned out peaceful for you. No way I know of Iding these guys so many hybids and pure guys looking so similar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts