Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, I have had my malawi tank running for 9 months and had to exchange a couple fish as they were too aggressive but seem to have a good combination right now... I am pretty sure of some of the fish type but a couple I am not too sure, my LFS guy is pretty good but I feel after reading from this forum these past few months may be lacking in overall cichlid expertise... I know that is nothing new here... :roll:

So if you can help me identify the unknown cichlids I have would be greatly appreciated.

1. Male Labidochromis caeruleus - Was told a male by my LFS as it has black on the fin tips...
2. Female Labidochromis caeruleus - Was told by my LFS that females do not have black fin tips, I know that to be false.
3. Peacock Cichlid - Not sure, LFS said it was, have not found any peacock cichlid picture that looks like this yet...
4. Albino Socofoli - Pretty sure that this is one
5. Rusty Cichlid - Pretty sure that this is one

I do know now that venting is the most successful way of sexing cichlids, which I have not done yet...

They are all living quite happily in a 30 gallon tank with weekly 10% water changes.

Thank you for any help in confirming or identifying my cichlids.

G

·
The first is a yellow lab...and no you CAN NOT tell the sex of them by the black on their fins.... Yellow labs are very tricky to sex and really the only way besides separating proven females and males is to vent (look at the genital pores) adults.

I know next to nothing about Malawi Mbuna (I'm a Malawi Haplochromine guy) but the last one looks like a rusty cichlid... Iodotropheus sprengerae

~Ed

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
If the first two fish came from the same tank, you'll have to assume that they are both hybrids.

The third pictures is an "OB Peacock". The socolofi and rusty are correct.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for your help on this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts