Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I saw my female red zebra, the only one who has held, dropping and picking up eggs with no male around. A while back I was posting about holds being unsuccessful, this might have something to do with it :thumb: .

So what does this mean? Do I not have any males? I have 5 total, and I was pretty sure a couple were males, being lighter in color and showing strong tints of blue in the fins when excited. This female is also one of the most aggressive fish in my tank, does she need to be "tamed" by a male to be courted into mating?

heres a video:

it happens at about 0:06. Note the other RZ that swims in is not a male attempting to resume spawning. I watched her drop eggs her self for about 30 minutes, chasing away others and only doing it while alone.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No idea :?

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
The only thing I can think of is maybe the male is not old enough. And she may know he is trying to EAT the eggs, not fertilize them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I can think of is maybe the male is not old enough.
This is the only thing that makes since to me, any idea on the mature length for RZ's? the one I mentioned above is probably about 2.5", while she might be a little over 3"

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Mine were the last to spawn in my mbuna tank and the male was 3" or over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts