Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a 3D background and was wondering if it would be better to have the return as a spray bar or UGJ. I was thinking UGJ would be easier to set up without having to worry about holes in my background for the spray bar. What's better to use for the UGJ's, PVC or metal piping.

·
Registered
625 Posts
PVC will be fine. And since you're making a bg, ugj sound like the better option.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about UGJ. Do you think I could run all my UGJ off my return from my canister?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I was thinking about UGJ. Do you think I could run all my UGJ off my return from my canister?
Would seem like a lot of head pressure to me. I would think that it would impact the flow of the canister filter too much... I would run a UGJ on it's own individual circuit. (powerhead?) & let the intake(s) of the canister remove it from the tank. You could hide the powerhead behind a pile of rocks, etc.

JMO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the output of the Canister would be slowed down if I used the UGJ's as a return source for water from my canister?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
So the output of the Canister would be slowed down if I used the UGJ's as a return source for water from my canister?
Well, inevitably it would depend on the specific canister. Canisters are designed to handle only (for the most part) the head pressure incurred from only returning the water to the tank.

By adding the return to UGJ's, you are adding the additional tubing to connect it to the UGJ (longer run=additional head pressure) + the flow restriction of the jets themselves (even more head pressure).

I have to think that will definitely impact flow. Who knows how much?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Fluval 404 for my 125 Gallon. I am thinking about getting another Canister.

·
Registered
351 Posts
maybe a single ugj would flow the same, but i think anytime you add a jet, it will cut the flow down by the number of jets. 3 jets would get 1/3 the flow of a single jet. i was thinking of doing ugj but i will use power heads when i do.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just read not too long ago to use a pre-filtered power head. What is that?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you use a powerhead to drive an UGJ it will push detritus under the substrate. To get around this you put a pre filter on the powerhead to filter this dirt out before passing it thru the substrate.

That or use a can to drive the UGJ's

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am thinking that instead I just drill two holes make a sump and then use the return from the sump to go to my UGJ. But if I do that and I am going with a 3D background wont that cover up my holes for the sump? The benifit of having a sump is I would also be able to hide my heat in there as well as possibly figure a way to make a spray bar.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
So I am thinking that instead I just drill two holes make a sump and then use the return from the sump to go to my UGJ.
If doing it this way, you don't have any fail-safe's in the event of a power outage. Basically, if power shuts off - your return pump will act as a back siphon & since your UGJ's run all the way to the bottom of the tank, there is a VERY REAL opportunity to drain your tank - overflow the sump & flood your floor.

But if I do that and I am going with a 3D background wont that cover up my holes for the sump?
You would have to have your background just below the height of your spill way (overflow) & into your sump.

The benifit of having a sump is I would also be able to hide my heat in there as well as possibly figure a way to make a spray bar.
I would run the UGJ off of a power head that is hidden behind the background. I would also continue to use your canister filter as the means to pick up the detritus that is blown up by the UGJ's.

If it were me I would have a wet dry circuit (sump), seperate UGJ system fed via a concealed power head behind the background (if you use one at all) & a canister filter with intakes @ various places within the background itself.

This is assuming that a sump filtration system & a 3d background are "must haves".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where can I get the power heads for the UGJ and also won't that make noise behind my background and scare my fish from that spot?

Also for plumbing I was wondering if there is a way to instead of doing the like a an upside down J thou the bottom of the tank would I be able to place the holes on the backside of the tank?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Where can I get the power heads for the UGJ and also won't that make noise behind my background and scare my fish from that spot?
Aquaclear. They sell them at Petsmart, etc or at any of the online retailers. Foster & Smith, PetSolutions, etc.. Aquaclear powerheads come with a suction cup style mounting bracket that isolates the noise. Won't scare the fish.

Also for plumbing I was wondering if there is a way to instead of doing the like a an upside down J thou the bottom of the tank would I be able to place the holes on the backside of the tank?
Yeah... See the link below. They build overflows & sell all that is needed to install one in the back wall of your tank.

http://glass-holes.com/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked at the link but, I could really see much of the picture or navigate to what I needed haha it's confusing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also do I stick that Aquaclear powerheads in the water or on the back of the tank?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts