Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on constructing an UnderGravel (actually Sand) jet system as the return from my wet/dry filter. The tank is going to be a 120 gallon (4x2x2) tank using a 1500gph glass-holes overflow kit feding a wet/dry filter. I have a pump left over from when I had my 125 reef tank and will be using that as a return from the wet/dry to the display. The pump is rated at 1350gph and with head loss and UGJ system loss I figure about 600-700gph flow from the pump. I will be running about 12 jets in the UGJ system so according to the research I need around 100-200 gph per jet meaning I need more flow. Is there a problem with running 2 return pumps in a sump system? I know having 1 pump feed the sump and 1 return is bad but are there any drawbacks to gravity drain and 2 return pumps? I can pick up another of the same pumps a lot cheaper than forking over big dough for a single pump rated to pump over 2000gph.

Also my pump has a 3/4' flex hose barb fitting for the output, whats the best way to connect this to a hard PVC pipe for the retun lines to the tank, and should I use 1/2" or 3/4" PVC for the return lines? I don't know if they make the barbed fittings for 3/4" pipe, I know they do for 1/2" as I saw it on another members UGJ build thread.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Im thinking of doing my 90 gallon like this. I will use a mag 5 and just use it to power 4-5 jets. Then i will use just a korolia powerhead 750 or 1050 to get more water movement. Looking to see how yours comes out. And dont forget to drill a hole in your pvc return so you can break the siphon in case of a power outage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts