Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Undergavel jets seem like a good thing. But maybe not with Frontosa? Help I don't know what to do. I80 GAL.

·
2,088 Posts
I had UGJ set up for 5+ years in a 150 gal front tank.

What issues are you concerned about? Mine bred and lived fine with them. It also made clean up a breeze.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nodima said:

What issues are you concerned about? Mine bred and lived fine with them. It also made clean up a breeze.
I read somewhere that Fontosa's don't like the current but I really like the idea of it. What was your flow rate? Thanks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have used UGJ's in the past in my 180g tank. I used a big eheim hobby pump to get my current going. After 3 mos I ended up taking my pvc out of the tank.

I use 2 6080 Tunze Streams in my wc moba tank. They are strong powerheads and I have them on an auto-timer to switch on 4x daily for 15 minutes. They provide a very strong current in my tank that gently sweeps my sand bottom. All the fish poop and smallest pieces of uneaten food are picked up and moved to either of my 2 2217 eheim intakes located at either end of my 6' tank. I don't ever have to vacuum my sand.

This is not a traditional application in a freshwater tank, nor with frontosa. I have used them for over 5 years now. They keep my tank clean, my mobas don't seem to mind and they spawn pretty regularly.

Hope this gives you another option to pursue.

·
2,088 Posts
chagoi said:
nodima said:

I read somewhere that Fontosa's don't like the current but I really like the idea of it. What was your flow rate? Thanks.
At that time, I ran a sump with a Mag 12, a powerhead - prob penguin 660, and the UGJ were driven by a Fluval 404. My challenge was the tank was a room divider, and all of the "stuff" had to be at the far right side of the tank. I set up the UGJ going down at the right, and under the gravel to about 2/3 the way across the tank. There were two jets, one at 1/3 the way across, the other 2/3 across. Both pointed back towards the right. Think of a "J" rotated clockwise.

The return from the Sump was PVC plumbed across the top of the tank, with a 45* elbow at the far left top of the tank. The power head and all the intakes were on the right side end of the tank. There was a nice gentle flow from left to right along the bottom, and a slight right to left across the top. There were a couple of areas of greater current where the UGJ and sump returned, but there was also enough rock to dissipate the current, and provide shelter for the fronts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Eheim 1262 driven UGJ system pushes 920 gph through 1/2" PVC pipe to three upstream-directed (back towards pump intake to more evenly distribute flow) nozzles and a spray bar oriented downstream along the surface. This creates a decided counter-clockwise circulation that I keep on 24/7 and have for 3 years. I have a 10"x4"x4" 30 ppi (pores per inch) open cell foam block over the pump's intake which I wring out weekly.

The tank is pristine and the fish seem to love the current. Sure, the current an inch in front of a nozzle is too strong for the fish, but anywhere else is fully occupied. Also, there a plenty of spots in the tank where flow is minimal where the fish can rest if they want.

Sure, I have tropheus, but they are alot smaller than mature frontosa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts