Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i read the DIY section about under-gravel jets and i'd like to try to set them up in my tank. The set up in that section had several jets that shot water just above the gravel line. I'd like to ask for an opinion of someone who has some experience. What I'd like to try to do is use a matrix of 1/2'' or 3/4'' PVC, off a central supply line. the side lines would be spaced 5-6 inches apart and drilled with 3/16inch holes to allow the water to push up through the gravel (moving the debris up to the filters ). The system would be supplied with by one, or two, Rio Aqua 200 jets (290 GPH). Does someone with experience think it'd work? I think it'd be very simple to set up and cheap (around $40.00). The link leads to a simple drawing that i just did.
Thanks for any advice!! :-?

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... mod003.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Hello...i dont think having the holes in the pvc like that is a good idea. I think it will be exposed because the gravel wont lay on the pvc with the water coming out....The pump isnt going to be strong enough. In a standard UGJ setup with 1/2 inch pvc you want 125 to 150 gph per jet....thats my 2 cents iam sure others will chime in.

Tekjunky

·
Registered
317 Posts
agreed with tekjunky about the flow rate. You won't have powerful enough jets to keep the debris off the floor for good, it'll settle somewhere, maybe on top of lower ornaments or in dead spots.

If you upped the GPH you might have a shot at this working. I dont think its anything particularly ingenius but its worth a shot.

I'd say that you'd need to control the flow a bit if you wanted the system to work well. The pumps would likely push down the central column and 65-70% of the flow rate would end up pushing out that last line and the top two lines in your branches would be as powerful.

Have you read my post about how I controlled water flow in my UGJ system? You might want to consider it to help make this work:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=

1 - 3 of 3 Posts