Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...cant seem to get the hand of cichlids.

So...I am going to demolish my tank...not really just start alll over with all new fish because I only havce 4, and don't really like them compared to others. None are the same breed either.

So my question:

1) What type of cichlids you recommend as far as looking good in the tank togeather, getting along, and not cross breeding? Also, I have a family :thumb: So I don't want to pay like $25 a fish either so not rare breeds or anything like that. I would like 3-4 species and 1M-4F ratio. Would like males and females to both be really pretty wether they look the same or not. I dont' like breeds where the female is ugly grey or brown.

( 55 gallon tank )

2) What do my levels need to be in ppm's? GH, KH, PH, Nitrite, Nitrate. I need these numbers in ppm since that is how my test kits are set up for.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
easy to get, colorful:
Yellow Lab
Socolofi
Cynotilapia Afra sp Hara (aka White top hara); mail order, but worth it.

I think you'll avoid cross breeding with this group.

the first 2 are monomorphic (males & fems look alike). The cyno afra hara- the males are pale with black/dk blue stripes and the females are powder blue.

Normally I would have said Labs, Red Zebras & Socolofi - but the RZ & Labs will crossbreed.

GH, KH @ 300ish
pH around 8
Nitrite 0 (forever, after cycling)
Nitrate 20ppm or less.

the GH & KH & pH are easy depending on your water. Epsom salt (to raise GH), Baking Soda to raise KH & pH to appropriate levels.

Nitrites will be done once cycling and you have sufficient filtration.

Nitrates will build as waste is converted - you will do water changes to remove them.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You could do maingano instead of Socolofi for a DARK blue fish. I love mine :)

Some have said they may be aggressive in a 55, I'm not sure I remember that correctly. Mine are in a 125 - I have 9, waiting for sizes to even out a bit before I take out the sub-dom males.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well that is easy as I have a socolofi, male. You have commented on a few of my posts lol....I am rally trying to get my tank "done". I bought all my fish (17 total ) spur of the moment same day I purchased my 55 tank. Then did my research. Yep I did it backwards :thumb: Would love to keep my socolofi, he's my fav. Now I need to get the tank i want.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I knew you had the Soc, and that's your favorite :)

I hated to sell my 2 I had - they were gorgeous!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sickaqua said:
well that is easy as I have a socolofi, male. You have commented on a few of my posts lol....I am rally trying to get my tank "done". I bought all my fish (17 total ) spur of the moment same day I purchased my 55 tank. Then did my research. Yep I did it backwards :thumb: Would love to keep my socolofi, he's my fav. Now I need to get the tank i want. Also...where can I purchase those afra?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the process of getting some yellow labs actually if I wanted them but they are 2 in or better, will it matter to my socolofi if I keep them? size wise?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'd say they should be fine. I've had 2" fish in with 4.5" fish and it's not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If you are doing socolofi I'd choose something other than cynotilapia sp. hara. Too much solid light blue for me...I like more contrast.

Some people have trouble with the maingano in a 55G with aggressiveness.

Metriaclima callainos pearl?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
wouldn't that be really close to the light blue of the soc?

But you're right about the solid light blue...

Acei would be great, but not great in a 55.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I definatly want contrast! I want a pretty tank. I love my socolofi but if he must go then he must. I worry about the various "crossbreeding" of Labs, read alot about that and not sure I could pick out the good ones.

A person offered to sell me some soulusi? Blue and black males and yellow females, that would be pretty but how many males/females can I put in a 55?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For those, prolly 2:8.

They would contrast nicely with the socolofi.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm not sure where in KY you are, but if you're close to Cincinatti there is an excellent club with a large number of cichlid owners. That means quality fish cheap!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AlphaWild said:
I'm not sure where in KY you are, but if you're close to Cincinatti there is an excellent club with a large number of cichlid owners. That means quality fish cheap!
I am close to cincinnati, only about 2 hours away. What is the name of the club that would be awsome! Thanks for sharing that with me.....let me know

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Saulosi yellow females and yellow labs? Too much yellow for me.

The pearl callainos are white, right?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I was thinking NOT doing the YL if she gets the Saulosi.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts