Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When checking the tank this morning, I noticed the glass thermometer was smashed. The fronts must have smashed it against the tank glass. But all the little black beads from the bottom of the thermometer are missing, and the glass pieces that smashed are also gone. I have Frontosas, calvus, caudopunctatus and a pleco in that tank. Anyone know what those little beads are and if they'll just pass thru the fish? The broken glass (although it is super thin) has me more concerned...

Similar to this:
http://www.kensfish.com/heaters/won_glss_ther.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
my fish did the same thing several weeks ago. i haven't had any issues so far. :dancing:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those little beads are some sort of metal, I would guess lead, used to keep the thermometer upright. Use a magnet, get them out of your gravel/sand I'd say. Probably nothing to worry about, just a precaution.

The broken glass is a problem with digging fish. Considering this and the above, if you have sand, why not take this opportunity to change your sand? If you have gravel, time for sand/new gravel?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nina_b said:
Those little beads are some sort of metal, I would guess lead, used to keep the thermometer upright. Use a magnet, get them out of your gravel/sand I'd say. Probably nothing to worry about, just a precaution.

The broken glass is a problem with digging fish. Considering this and the above, if you have sand, why not take this opportunity to change your sand? If you have gravel, time for sand/new gravel?
He thinks his fish ATE them, not that they are sitting in the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I recommend vacuuming up the substrate in the area below where the thermometer broke. I doubt your fish ate all of the lead pellets or any bits of broken glass. It is important to get the stuff out of your tank.

With the propensity of these things to break, it's puzzling that they would still put lead in them. I have killed fish from a broken thermometer, so it's best to handle this quickly by removing any remaining materials and doing a few large frequent water changes. The good news is that lead is poorly soluble in high pH water....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts