Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1/2" cpvc jets with say 200-300gph pump. rubber/silicone tubing for the rest..

will this create too much water pressure?
I dont want to blow my fish around..
Thank you!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soo... I'm assuming nobody has UGJs... :( :-?

I am going ahead with the build..
Behind my background will be 2- 1/2" cpvc tubes.. One supplying 2 jets and the single tube supplying a single jet. At the top of my tank where the pipes coalesce will be a barb fitting for a 3/4" silicone tube coming from a sump (yet to be made, trying to get BG in first).

So, 3/4 silicone tubing to branch into 2 -1/2" cpvc then one branches into 2 again for total of 3 jets.

I was wondering if 200-300gph pump was too much or not enough?

Tank is 48" 55g.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 55g with 1/2" cpvc and a Rio 2100 (692gph). I have one long pipe running along the front of the tank with 4 jets. The Rio is hooked up to one end of the pipe. The jet(s) closest to the pump are stronger, and the ones further away are not as strong. Having said that, the Rio 2100 seems to be doing a great job.. not too strong.[/img]

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Setting it up that way might be a problem getting equal flowrates outta the jets. Could be a real PITA balancing them.

Trying to force 300gph outta (3) 1/2" jets might be a bit much, mebbe another jet or two would be something to consider. You would have to set it up and try a test run to see for sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you..

Testing is a problem.. :(
I am running the lines behind my BG.. And I haven't made the sump yet.. I was planning on having everything ready then a simple connect of the hose and done.

I have placed baffles within the T's for the closest jets and allowed the entire lumen of the pipe for the farthest jet.

Here is a rough outline..

Black: T's
Blue: Jets
Grey: Silicone tubbing

hoping to have overflow box in far right corner, opposite the filter.. and the jets are sump return.

thank you

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Have you considered closed loop? Water will seek the path of least resistance.

Make your first loop continous, sort of like a doughnut. That should help equalize internal pressures some. Where you have the elbow on the left, place a tee, and where you have the 50% baffle place another tee for the jet and to complete the loop. :thumb:

·
Registered
252 Posts
check out goof boy's ugj's, should still be up on this page.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts