Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raised the temperature to 84-86 degrees, added two table spoons of iodine free kosher salt tonight and will add some more tomorrow. The high fin catfish seems to be rubbing himself around a lot, the polleni is still the same as before, no signs of stress.. yet. Checked the water levels and just the nitrates are around 40, everything else is good. I'm pretty nervous right now. I don't want to lose any fish or damage any of my plants. The worst part of treating for **** like this is the waiting period isn't it?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Don't forget higher temps = lower O2, so increased surface agitation is recommended.
Good luck with your treatment. :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but it seems to be getting worse. The ick is spreading, and although I only see six or seven dots, the Polleni is starting to sit on the ground and not be very active. Is this normal with ick? Does it get worse before it gets better? Starting to get really worried.. the temperature is 84 - 86 degrees.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i don't know bro
i know we had a worse case of it once about 3months ago when we bought some fish from our lfs an it took us like 2 or 3wks to get rid of it or it felt that way anyway lol.
our kissing fish got it bad than any of them had cloudy eyes an was just very unactive. we kept the temperture up an kept him moving he finally got rid of it.
now we are back with it again cause like last time the wife bought some firemouths an jewel's didn't treat them before entering them into the community an now we are fighting it again.
only lost one rainbow fish the biggest we had, so far not planning on losing any other.
just keep doing what you doing an remeber to keep some O2 in that water.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement haha. Yeah the tank has a lot of water movement so I'm not worried at all about the oxygen, and the I added some more salt and that seemed to help out as both fish are moving around again. Just gotta wait it out I guess. Most annoying disease, let me tell you..

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
There are 3 stages for ick. With the raised temperature treatment, you should see the first two, ick present on the fish, then later, after they've dropped off, they'll be on the substrate trying to reproduce, which they won't be able to do due to the high temperature. Following this, they will eventually die.
Total treatment should be 10 days or 3 days of additional treatment following zero visible signs of ick.
If your fish are under a great deal of distress, slowly lower the temperature. You'll have to treat with meds and/or salt if the temps are lowered.
Library->Ick Article

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTZ to the rescue. The fish seem fine now though, they aren't stressing out or anything, occasionally the polleni will go sit in a corner for five minutes then start roaming again. They aren't rubbing against anything either, or hanging out near the surface.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Great to hear, now you can take some sadistic enjoyment in the fact that they're lying on the substrate and can't reproduce ;)
3 more days, or 10 total, whichever is greater.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I suffered an ich outbreak few years ago. Followed same treatment as the link GTZ posted. Worked like a charm, no fish or plant losses. :thumb:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I woke up this morning to my fish covered in white spots again, and not just that but the polleni is pooping white stringy poo. It was sitting on the ground when I woke up so I added some more salt and now its swimming around. I'm guessing the heat treatment didn't work? Also, how the heck is it pooping if I haven't fed it in nearly two weeks?

·
Registered
623 Posts
The heat doesn't kill right away it speeds up the process I would say stick to the heat and salt it takes a few days to kill it off then 10 days after signs that you may be free of ich.

·
Registered
173 Posts
its prob the fact that there are ick pores already on the substrate. I am on day 10 now for treating ick. But i am still seeing spots. but only 3 today so its slowly helping. also I think I read to keep the temp above 86 as ick can reproduce. Just remember if you dont see it give it a few more days to fully kill it. and do feed your fish they need the nutrients to fight off ick.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm on day five right now, the flashing has stopped for the most part and I see no visible signs of ick, but the fish still sits down on the ground occasionally. Things are looking much better than before though, thankfully. I actually haven't fed my fish in about a week, ever since they were showing signs of sickness. They really haven't showed any appetite though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts