Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to build an under gravel jet system, what kind of pump can i use that is under $30 for my 85 gallon tank. is using one enough? Im on a budejet and dont want to up the electricity.. but if I have to ill get two.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
How many jets to you plan to have and what is the total head preasure of your pipework? You'll want 100-150 gph per jet to be effective for most systems.

Here's a guide to help you figure out the head preasure. Where it asks for number of outlets just put 1 since you'll be pinching down the openings for the jets. You'll have to try a few different pumps from the selection to see what will be needed for your particular ugj design. http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

Eggcrate is up to you. Do you need it? Not really, but it's nice if your stacking rock and it will help keep everything in place if you zip tie your ugj to it.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Without knowing your design I would say a pump in the 500-600 gph range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im gona run 4 jets, 2 in front 1 on each side.

I just got back from HD, 600gph goes for $80!
where can I find a cheaper one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im gona run 4 jets, 2 in front 1 on each side.

I just got back from HD, 600gph goes for $80!
where can I find a cheaper one?

·
Registered
521 Posts
look for rio 2100 mine was $38 & 798 gph

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I'm useing a couple of Cap 2200 at 800gph for 12 jets. I tried to find a price for you but they seem to be hard to come by these days. I bought mine a couple of years ago for $34 each if I remember right.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I would say C. You'll get a lot of gph per jet.

A lot depends on how your tank decor is set up. Ideally you'll want the jets to direct the water toward your filter pick-ups. If you have a good idea how your rocks, driftwood or anything else that will sit on the bottom of the tank is going to be arranged you would want to set up your filter inlet and outlets and your ugj to maximize detritus evacuation. You'll always have some areas crud will accumulate but ugj's will help keep it to a minimum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.