Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 4 uaru 4 days ago and they started settling in quite well. They are in a 6 foot tank with fairy cichlids and 4 other Mauna cichlids. The ph is 5.7. I did change the ph from 7.5. I meant to only take it down by one so I could gradually get the ph lower for the uaru. And yesterday they seemed fine after it. But one of the uarus colour is going strange and it looks stressed. And another one keeps looking up a horizontal view. Is this due to the change in ph? Water Blue Fin Organism Liquid

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Yes, it's possible your new additions to the aquarium have been stressed because of the transfer. Uarus are a fairly sensitive Cichlid species, that will appreciate good water stability and clean (very low measured Nitrates) in the water.
  • How did you change the PH of the tank water from 7.5 to 5.7?
  • Did you lower the PH before the new Uarus were introduced to the aquarium, or after?
  • What was the process you used to acclimate your new Uarus to the aquarium?
  • About how long do you estimate the acclimation process took?
And, please describe the other occupants of the tank using their species names, (Uaru amphiacanthoides). The common name 'Mauna Cichlid' you list describes an African Mbuna Cichlid originating from Lake Malawi (Maylandia fainzilberi). The Fairy Cichlid describes a Lake Tanganyikan resident, (Neolamprologus brichardi).
Are these the actual, other residents of your aquarium?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, it's possible your new additions to the aquarium have been stressed because of the transfer. Uarus are a fairly sensitive Cichlid species, that will appreciate good water stability and clean (very low measured Nitrates) in the water.
  • How did you change the PH of the tank water from 7.5 to 5.7?
  • Did you lower the PH before the new Uarus were introduced to the aquarium, or after?
  • What was the process you used to acclimate your new Uarus to the aquarium?
  • About how long do you estimate the acclimation process took?
And, please describe the other occupants of the tank using their species names, (Uaru amphiacanthoides). The common name 'Mauna Cichlid' you list describes an African Mbuna Cichlid originating from Lake Malawi (Maylandia fainzilberi). The Fairy Cichlid describes a Lake Tanganyikan resident, (Neolamprologus brichardi).
Are these the actual, other residents of your aquarium?
I acclimated them for about half an hour. Pouring cups of water into in the fishes bag. I changed the ph with an acid buffer. Iv been recording the ph and it seems to be going up by .1 every couple hours. I didn’t mean to agust the ph by so much so quickly. I’m not sure what happened but I put in the amount you put in to lower it by 1

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Adding chemicals to the water in a fight with it, never ends well. Trust me the water will always win, and your fish will be the biggest losers in a chemistry situation like that.
  • Lake Tanganyika: PH 8.6. - 9.0, High alkalinity, very hard water
  • Lake Malawi: PH 7.4 - 7.9, Medium alkalinity, hard water
  • Amazon River Basin: PH 4.8 - 7.0, Low Acidic to Neutral, zero detectable hardness to very low.
Your Cichlids originate from three distinct water chemistry environments. The water chemistry difference between Lake Tanganyika and the Amazon River Basin is well, EXTREME. Your Uarus (U. fernandezyepezi - amphiacanthoides) will not tolerate the chemicals you are treating the water with to lower the PH in the aquarium. By doing that, you have caused a massive amount of stress in all of the fish in your aquarium. Best bet at this point would be to stop treating the water with chemicals to lower the PH, and, hope you haven't burned the gills of your Uarus. If they survive through the next week or so, they may have a chance at adapting to the conditions of your aquarium.
And, we haven't even started talking about Nitrate buildup in the water of your tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding chemicals to the water in a fight with it, never ends well. Trust me the water will always win, and your fish will be the biggest losers in a chemistry situation like that.
  • Lake Tanganyika: PH 8.6. - 9.0, High alkalinity, very hard water
  • Lake Malawi: PH 7.4 - 7.9, Medium alkalinity, hard water
  • Amazon River Basin: PH 4.8 - 7.0, Low Acidic to Neutral, zero detectable hardness to very low.
Your Cichlids originate from three distinct water chemistry environments. The water chemistry difference between Lake Tanganyika and the Amazon River Basin is well, EXTREME. Your Uarus (U. fernandezyepezi - amphiacanthoides) will not tolerate the chemicals you are treating the water with to lower the PH in the aquarium. By doing that, you have caused a massive amount of stress in all of the fish in your aquarium. Best bet at this point would be to stop treating the water with chemicals to lower the PH, and, hope you haven't burned the gills of your Uarus. If they survive through the next week or so, they may have a chance at adapting to the conditions of your aquarium.
And, we haven't even started talking about Nitrate buildup in the water of your tank.
Thank you for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts