Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old-ish female Uaru isn't quite herself anymore.

Part of this, I think, is that one of the juvy Uaru is being a jerk. He's not super violent, but he does chase and nip sometimes... even goes after a 16" Arowana. I had a colony of 7 of the Uaru but knocked it back to 3... wish I'd kept one more. (That was two months ago. Jerkiness started about 2 weeks ago.)

Anyway, she's still eating and comes to the glass, but her rear is starting to fall a bit and sometimes she tilts to one side.

Water's fine - 83°, nitrates under 10, overfiltered, etc... it's not a water quality or tank-wide disease issue at all (that I know of). She has no visible wounds or anything, but behavior-wise it's clear she's declining.

Clean salty water in a 29g is going to be my first step. I can't do that til tomorrow though (when I'm sure the tank is clean and clear - had a messy death in there today and need to make sure the biomedia is still alive after the rinse-off). Is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think isolating her is a good idea, and is really all you can do right now. Doesn't sound like typical disease symptoms. How old is she? Hope she pulls through for you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea. I've had her for three years and she was 7-8" when I got her.

It didn't take long for my others to grow to that size, so she could be 3, could be 8, no way to know.

She has a wound on the back of her side. Small, bite-sized. She's getting isolated as soon as I confirm that the temperature holds on the new tank.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
She has a wound on the back of her side. Small, bite-sized.
These things can be so hard to diagnose because you don't know if the wound is from another fish or bacterial. And even if you determine bacterial, it may be a secondary infection, not the primary cause of her problems. Wish I had more to offer. I think if she improves once you isolate, you'll have your answer, aggression. If not, then almost certainly disease or age.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only took a few days of isolation for her behavior and appearance to improve. The wound healed instantly (as they all seem to do).

Meanwhile the orange ones even go after the Arowana. I think they're a pair. But the one is mean even when the other is nowhere near him. I might just get rid of them... which sucks. When I had 6 of them they were quite peaceful... and orange Uaru aren't all that common.

Anyway, it's definitely bullying. She has become a more picky eater now, even in isolation, but she's a pig if it's a food she wants. I think the lilting body and whatnot before was just a consequence of not eating for a while in the main tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts