Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
@Deeda is definitely gonna be your 'go to' for rack aquarium systems. Experience! By comparison, at the height of my baby fish, grow-out tank investment - I had four, 10 gallon aquariums set up on a metal shelf bread rack . It's an entirely different game when you get dedicated air systems and other things going for a lot more aquariums at once.
But, I AM totally gonna enjoy watching you build out this beast. :geek:
I've been going back and forth on whether I should use an air system with sponge filters or an overflow system that goes to a large sump. I have the large sump but it needs to be repaired, which I can do myself, and that's a ton of plumbing to be figured out. The air system, on the other hand, is a lot easier and cheaper to setup even if the linear piston pump is $250.

Here's the next step and general setup of what I'm looking for. Of course, this can change instantly.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Writing

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Might be worth the @250 bucks for the air pump, to keep each tank isolated from each other (illness/disease spread).
And, the plans look pretty good so far. That is a LOT of new tanks!

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Might be worth the @250 bucks for the air pump, to keep each tank isolated from each other (illness/disease spread).
And, the plans look pretty good so far. That is a LOT of new tanks!
I was thinking that as well. I don't have the tanks to fill the entire rack currently. I have 2 40s, 3 20s, and 4 10s. I'm always looking for sales and used tanks. But yes, it will be a vast upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
I bought all my tanks for the fish room used and was lucky on club auctions over the course of 2 years or so.

I also debated between DIY wood or metal racks to use and whether to do individual sponge filtered or sump. The sump idea I scrapped because of my unfamiliarity with it plus the illness/disease issue. I did however drill all the tanks a couple inches from the bottom in case I decided to change my mind and just installed stand pipes with a strainer as high as I could.

I'm using the HMF foam on the short ends of the tanks with jet air lifts and originally had the Jehmco LPH60 but upgraded to LPH 80 when I added more tanks. Both air pumps are workhorses and quiet though I have them mounted on a wire shelf near ceiling level in the clothes closet in my converted basement bedroom.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I bought all my tanks for the fish room used and was lucky on club auctions over the course of 2 years or so.

I also debated between DIY wood or metal racks to use and whether to do individual sponge filtered or sump. The sump idea I scrapped because of my unfamiliarity with it plus the illness/disease issue. I did however drill all the tanks a couple inches from the bottom in case I decided to change my mind and just installed stand pipes with a strainer as high as I could.
I regularly check FB marketplace and all the various FB groups for tanks on sale. I got the 40s and the 10s that way. I got the 20s at Petco when they were on sale. I'm familiar with sumps but not on this scale. I think I'll save that idea for the next evolution. I hope one day to renovate my detached garage to be my fish room one day. The whole building needs to be renovated though. Long term plans if the breeding takes off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not a big update. I noticed 2 fry in the 125 that I missed when I moved the rest to their deaths. I think the fact that they're still in the tank is keeping the pair in parent mode and not egg laying mode. My 10 fry from the first batch are sold and getting picked up on the 30th. Then I'll move the 2 into my 20 gallon.

I'm also in the process of getting a utility sink installed so I can do water changes with a python. Carrying 5 gallon buckets up and down my basement stairs sucks. I've been neglecting the 125 because of it. Hopefully it will be complete by the end of next week.

On the stand front, my dad and I settled on an design and priced out the materials with 3 different lumber yards including Lowe's and Home Depot. The lowest price I could find was around $650. That hurts a lot. I may revisit and make something smaller.

Lastly, I did something a little silly and had a photo I snapped of the Mamma Uaru and her fry made into a poster!
Wood Floor Material property Luggage and bags Window

Cabinetry Vertebrate Light Black Yellow

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Whaaaa........?
I'm also in the process of getting a utility sink installed so I can do water changes with a python. Carrying 5 gallon buckets up and down my basement stairs sucks.
  • Basement.
  • 5 Gallon buckets.
  • 125 Gallon tank.
Doooood..... I'm not sure I've EVER been young enough to do that! :oops:
Hats off to you man - that puts a whole new spin on the term 'grueling'.
-
That rack stand you're looking at must be pretty impressive. Whew.... that looks like some big bucks, for a serious amount of lumber!
-
And, I love the poster picture you made of all the babies with the Mom Fish! Awesome!
Maybe you can set up a 'go-fund me' campaign or something using that poster? "Will send a (signed - naturally) copy of that poster for each $20 ($30?) donation to the campaign! Operators are Standing By!!!" :LOL:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Whaaaa........?

• Basement.
  • 5 Gallon buckets.
  • 125 Gallon tank.
Doooood..... I'm not sure I've EVER been young enough to do that! :oops:
Hats off to you man - that puts a whole new spin on the term 'grueling'.
-
That rack stand you're looking at must be pretty impressive. Whew.... that looks like some big bucks, for a serious amount of lumber!
-
And, I love the poster picture you made of all the babies with the Mom Fish! Awesome!
Maybe you can set up a 'go-fund me' campaign or something using that poster? "Will send a (signed - naturally) copy of that poster for each $20 ($30?) donation to the campaign! Operators are Standing By!!!" :LOL:
LOL. I'm only doing 4 or 5 buckets as a water change so I'm sure the water quality isn't great. The rack is not that complicated. It's 14' long x 2' wide x I don't remember how high. It's just that lumber is so darn expensive right now. My dad knows the owner of the local lumber yard. He said wood has doubled in the last 12 months.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
Love the pics and the small update.

The price of everything has gone up and lumber is one of those big ones. I would bet that even going with metal racking would have a price increase.

Just a comment on the utility tub in relation to the electrical outlets, might want to consider either moving the tub or raising the electrical box.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’d like to see that box moved above your waste line (easy fix)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
First, I've scraped the custom rack idea for the foreseeable future. It's just to expensive. I'm planning on picking up a 77" Husky rack from Home Depot and using plywood on the shelves. It's half the size but also half the price of the lumber. I can always buy another when I need to expand. I'll hopefully be picking it up tomorrow evening.

Second, the sink was installed on Wednesday night and I did my 1st successful vacuum and water change on the 1225 last night.

Third, the wigglers are doing great and should be free swimming in a day or so.

Publication Wood Flooring Font Electronic instrument

Wood Floor Flooring Gas Cylinder

Sink Plumbing fixture Wood Window Fixture

Wood Beam Twig Electrical wiring Ceiling

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Right on! (y)

Reactions: karpomatic1
41 - 59 of 59 Posts