·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Oh my goodness..... wow. Just look at ALL of those Uaru babies! :giggle:

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's awesome!

I have 5 Urau, all juveniles. They live with 5 Red Head Tapajos Geophagus and a few Gold Acara's. I'd love to have them pair up and spawn!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That's awesome!

I have 5 Urau, all juveniles. They live with 5 Red Head Tapajos Geophagus and a few Gold Acara's. I'd love to have them pair up and spawn!!
Mine originally spawned in a 220 with Oscars, Festivum, Geo Winemilleri, and a bunch of Synodontis. I've read that they are hard to breed. I guess I just have the right water chemistry. I only ever use Prime. I don't change the Ph or anything else at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you have any live plants in with them? My Urau think the amazon swords are snacks, they kinda pick and graze all day on the swords and my driftwood. And my Geo's sifting thru the sand. I feel they are a good mix, the Urau mostly using the top half of the tank and the Geo's mostly down in the bottom half.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Do you have any live plants in with them? My Urau think the amazon swords are snacks, they kinda pick and graze all day on the swords and my driftwood. And my Geo's sifting thru the sand. I feel they are a good mix, the Urau mostly using the top half of the tank and the Geo's mostly down in the bottom half.
I don't have any live pants. They've destroyed every plant I've ever tried. I cut a cucumber in quarters for them. I go thru one a day between 3 tanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am subscribed! Beautiful fish. How many Urau did you start with? I hope to get a viable pair out of my 5.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I am subscribed! Beautiful fish. How many Urau did you start with? I hope to get a viable pair out of my 5.
I have 5 as well. My main breeding pair are both about 10" or so. I have another pair in my 220 show tank that had laid 2 clutches but no fry yet. I don't currently have anywhere to put a 2nd pair right now. Hoping to put up a rack or 40 gallon breeders in a few months.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Hmmmmm.....
I guess I just have the right water chemistry. I only ever use Prime. I don't change the Ph or anything else at all.
I believe that this is key to successfully keeping this sensitive Cichlid. Too many Uaru enthusiasts start monkeying with the water chemistry when attempting this species, and it almost always ends pretty badly. The only thing I've seen that works, is to strip out your tap water with RO water in a strict regimen of water additions and 'recipes', that is bit like the Discus-keeping pros use. Using PH reducers or adding acids to the water to drive that PH down, is a sure-fire way to put some really bad stress on Uarus.
They mostly seem to prefer CLEAN water (low Nitrates & Phosphates), that is maintained stable in PH and hardness. I've seen them bred successfully in dechlorinated tap water with PH up to 7.4 - 7.6, with no problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hmmmmm.....

I believe that this is key to successfully keeping this sensitive Cichlid. Too many Uaru enthusiasts start monkeying with the water chemistry when attempting this species, and it almost always ends pretty badly. The only thing I've seen that works, is to strip out your tap water with RO water in a strict regimen of water additions and 'recipes', that is bit like the Discus-keeping pros use. Using PH reducers or adding acids to the water to drive that PH down, is a sure-fire way to put some really bad stress on Uarus.
They mostly seem to prefer CLEAN water (low Nitrates & Phosphates), that is maintained stable in PH and hardness. I've seen them bred successfully in dechlorinated tap water with PH up to 7.4 - 7.6, with no problems.
Well, my water is very clean even if it is city water. The sump in my 220 was custom made by me and it has TONS of biological media in it. I just tested my water for the first time in ages just for this post. Ph is 6.0. Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates are all zero.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's a sad day. I really messed up. I moved the second clutch of fry to the 20 gallon grow out tank with the other fry last night... and they all got eaten. The larger fry ate them overnight. I did this last time with the same size fry and no one got eaten before. I'm truly upset by this as it's all my fault. Looks like I'm going to have to build the rack for separate grow out tanks. Live and learn I guess.

Darn!

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Yikes!
But as a DIY'r? I can't think of a better guy to fix this problem.
Sorry to hear that. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yikes!
But as a DIY'r? I can't think of a better guy to fix this problem.
Sorry to hear that. :(
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm just pissed at myself. Now I have to build a rack for 3 40s, 3 20s, and 4 10s. If they breed again I'll just leave them in the tank with the parents until I have somewhere to put them.

On a side note, I sold the 10 from the first spawn. They're getting picked up on 2/6. They will be 12 weeks old by that time and ready to go on their next adventure.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
Sorry to hear about the new fry. Sometimes mixing different size fry works and other times not so much.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
How much room are you leaving between the top of the tank and the rack level above? You'll need access to reach the back of the tank for maintenance, netting fish and also for lights.

There may be an issue with how low to the ground the 40B's are for when you want to siphon/drain the tanks if using a bucket.

I thought about using the stepped design rack for my fish room but went traditional with adjustable metal racks in case I wanted to change tank sizes.

Definitely double check your tanks lengths, width and height to allow clearance to fit as most are a bit larger than stated dimensions.

I assume the 10G tanks on top shelf will be short end facing the front? Will you be able to reach them due to the position of the 40B's?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
How much room are you leaving between the top of the tank and the rack level above? You'll need access to reach the back of the tank for maintenance, netting fish and also for lights.

There may be an issue with how low to the ground the 40B's are for when you want to siphon/drain the tanks if using a bucket.

I thought about using the stepped design rack for my fish room but went traditional with adjustable metal racks in case I wanted to change tank sizes.

Definitely double check your tanks lengths, width and height to allow clearance to fit as most are a bit larger than stated dimensions.

I assume the 10G tanks on top shelf will be short end facing the front? Will you be able to reach them due to the position of the 40B's?
I'm installing a utility sink and pump so I'll be using a python for water changes.

My drawing has crude measurements. My dad is the carpenter and is also working on plans. I'm sure he's taking things into account that I don't realize.

The current idea is 8" of space from the top of the tank to the bottom of the next shelf.

Yes, short side out for the 10s. The height is a concern when reaching them.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
@Deeda is definitely gonna be your 'go to' for rack aquarium systems. Experience! By comparison, at the height of my baby fish, grow-out tank investment - I had four, 10 gallon aquariums set up on a metal shelf bread rack . It's an entirely different game when you get dedicated air systems and other things going for a lot more aquariums at once.
But, I AM totally gonna enjoy watching you build out this beast. :geek:

21 - 40 of 59 Posts