Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Uaru have fry! They've laid a few clutches in the past but they always got eaten within a few days. No one in my household even saw these eggs so they must have been well hidden. The issue now is that they are in my 220 gallon community aquarium with other Uaru, a Severum, Oscars, and many Synodontis cats. How long before I can move them to a 20 gallon by them selves? I know the fry feed off the parents like Discus but for how long?

I'll be moving the parents into a 125 of their own in a few weeks. Hopefully I can get them spawning again.

Water Organism Underwater Finger Fin

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Congratulations on the new fry!
Good News: You've got really good pair of Uaru's in that aquarium. Getting the eggs alone hatched out with all of those egg & fry-eating lurkers in there, was no mean feat. Well Done!
-
Bad News: I just don't see the fry surviving very long in that tank. Yes, they do like to nibble on the slime coat of the parents. But, if you want to save any of these baby fish, you are probably gonna need to net them out to and raise them in a separate, much smaller fry-rearing tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on the new fry!
Good News: You've got really good pair of Uaru's in that aquarium. Getting the eggs alone hatched out with all of those egg & fry-eating lurkers in there, was no mean feat. Well Done!
-
Bad News: I just don't see the fry surviving very long in that tank. Yes, they do like to nibble on the slime coat of the parents. But, if you want to save any of these baby fish, you are probably gonna need to net them out to and raise them in a separate, much smaller fry-rearing tank.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If they live the week off the parents, I'll attempt to move them to my 20 gallon. I've found online that they feed off the parents for 1 to 2 weeks before you should attempt to separate them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You need to separate the Uaru from all the other fishes in that tank, especially the oscars (!) and catfish. If you have no other options, how about a (strong) tank divider?

I'm amazed that the Uaru not only survived, but spawned with Oscar cohabitants.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After two weeks of being in the community 220 and feeding from the parents, I moved the fry to a 20 gallon. The only other inhabitants are 2 bigger Uaru fry I recently purchased and 2 L066 King Tiger Plecos. They've been eating baby brine shrimp and cucumber everyday. I lost a few each day in the first few days, probably due to me being new at this. I've got 11 that are doing great.

The parents just laid another clutch last night!

Fire hydrant Material property Cylinder Gas Paint

Water Organism Banana Banana family Recreation

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Wow! Baby Uarus!!!!!
That's it man - you are now THE UARU KING on Cichlid Forum. 👑
Well Done!

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Right On!
Can't be The Uaru King on C-F without more successful spawning runs I guess... :LOL:
But, I'm not too surprised the parents ate the eggs with that crowd you had in with the pair (I WAS pretty surprised you actually had a successful spawn at all!).
And yes, hopefully without the community tank goonery going on. this latest spawning run will run its course normally.
-
Did the babies from the last spawn raise out okay for you? It was pretty cool to see you had the brine shrimp 'factory' going for those little guys and everything.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right On!
Can't be The Uaru King on C-F without more successful spawning runs I guess... :LOL:
But, I'm not too surprised the parents ate the eggs with that crowd you had in with the pair (I WAS pretty surprised you actually had a successful spawn at all!).
And yes, hopefully without the community tank goonery going on. this latest spawning run will run its course normally.
-
Did the babies from the last spawn raise out okay for you? It was pretty cool to see you had the brine shrimp 'factory' going for those little guys and everything.:)
I have 10 from the last batch that are doing well. Eating like pigs.

Atmosphere Vertebrate World Nature Astronomical object

Sky Liquid Astronomical object Space Event

Water Underwater Fish Marine biology Fin

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Awwwww..... baby Uarus! Just look at those awesome little 'chow hounds'! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update!!! The eggs have hatched. There is a large group of wigglers on the bottom at the base of the rock. I can't get a good photo due to the angle and the fact that their so tiny. A few pellets made their way into the group. I'm sure the parents will pick them out. One thing I've noticed is that the parents are picking up any stay fry and returning the to the group.

Atmosphere Automotive lighting Astronomical object Liquid Sky

Water Fluid Liquid Road surface Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Tee hee.....
Oh yeah. This thing NEVER gets old, does it?!!!
-
Looks like your adjustments in pulling the spawning pair out of the community tank, may have worked.
Nice job!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tee hee.....
Oh yeah. This thing NEVER gets old, does it?!!!
-
Looks like your adjustments in pulling the spawning pair out of the community tank, may have worked.
Nice job!
No it doesn't! Once I discovered the fry, I moved the other 3 Uaru back to the community tank, leaving only the breeding pair.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
All hail the king, man.
Long live the UARU KING!!!! :D

Reactions: karpomatic1

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
Congrats again! The fish are probably stimulated by you moving them tank to tank and figured we'd better lay eggs so he doesn't get rid of us. ;)

And WOW those pics are crisp and clear! Different camera?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats again! The fish are probably stimulated by you moving them tank to tank and figured we'd better lay eggs so he doesn't get rid of us. ;)

And WOW those pics are crisp and clear! Different camera?
Lol. Maybe! Same phone. This is my show tank with a big sump filter. The 125 just has 2 sponge filters so the water is not as clear. And I've got a ****ty shop light on the 125 as well.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Wow, no kidding. Those pics have so much clarity, it looks like those fish aren't even - IN THE WATER.
Your Uaurus are maturing nicely and really look great.
And well, looks like you've got the touch with this species. It's definitely spawning time lately in Uraru-ville! :D

Reactions: Deeda
1 - 20 of 59 Posts