Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around my local DIY shops, and the types of sand are very limited.
Builders sand, sharp sand and silver sand.

Any tips ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pool filter sand.... you can buy it at your local pool & spa. Its pretty cheap as well I bought 100 lbs for $30. Maybe you can find it for cheaper where you are from. But pool filter sand looks realy nice IMO!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks masonv I'll have a look for it . :) today i saw play sand for childrens sandboxes.

Is this any good for tanks ?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It has a higher clay content and more likely to muddy your tank. PFS comes pre cleaned and only requires light rinsing before adding it.

It is also a heavier grit and is disturbed less easily so your fish can dig but it is not constantly cloudy.

For another price quote my local pool supply store sells this in 50lb bags for $10. There is a discount pool supply store that has it for $5 but I chose the $10 for overall look.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just changed the substrate in my 29g and set up a 125g using pfs. Cost me 30$ for 150lbs and was the easiest substrate I have ever rinsed, 3-4 mins per half a bag. So far I'm loving it!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes pool filter sand is the way to go. Looks like I got high balled for my PFS. LOL.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If it will cheer you up: look up how much 100lb of moon sand or any substrate sold at a pet store costs!

Another thing to mention as I had some difficulty with for the OP to keep in mind: you want one that is advertised as chemically free. My lowes, home depot, ace, and the first pool supply store I went to only carried chemically treated sand as it is much better for doing it's original job of filtering pools!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just not sure whether or not anywhere here (in Ireland) will sell it. Hardly anybody has a pool..

I'll try and source it though.

Thanks for the info people :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts