Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my tank setup with alot of Texas holey rock but after getting my fish last night Im not happy with how it looks, not really sure why but Im just not feeling it at all.

So I went back to my stone company and picked out some nicely colored river rock. I just ordered 3 more male peacocks so when those come in I'll swap the rocks out but in the mean time Im trying to figure out how to set the new rocks up. I know in the end its up to me but I wanted to see if anyone had pics or ideas to throw out on how to set them up.

Here are the new rocks:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hard to make caves with small rocks though.

They sure look great though.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Riceburner said:
shiny.....they aren't coated with anything are they?
Nope just wet...they looked boring when they were dry then when I cleaned them off I couldnt believe the colors they had when wet.

Heres what they look like when dry:

And again wet:

Glaneon said:
Hard to make caves with small rocks though.

They sure look great though.
I made some decent caves w/ the larger rocks, the small rocks are just to scatter about the tank to make it look natural. I might go pick up a few more larger rocks once I get my 75 gallon tank just have to see how it looks all set up first.

I have 8 peacocks now so from what *** read on here you dont really need that much rock work. I hope theyre right. :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't know about Texas, but up here in Illinois rocks like that can be had for 15-20 cents per pound from a landscaping store.

Although at this time they are under a foot of snow. :)

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Malawi Mac said:
Don't know about Texas, but up here in Illinois rocks like that can be had for 15-20 cents per pound from a landscaping store.

Although at this time they are under a foot of snow. :)
.08 cents down here.

I wish it would snow down here!!!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
60gallon said:
Don't hold your breathe. With a comment like that I know you're not in El Paso, Amarillo, Lubbock, or anywhere else North, cuz they actually get snow. Must be Central like me, eh?

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RRasco said:
60gallon said:
Don't hold your breathe. With a comment like that I know you're not in El Paso, Amarillo, Lubbock, or anywhere else North, cuz they actually get snow. Must be Central like me, eh?
I'm further south in Northern Houston.

It was in the 60s today then some rain came mid afternoon and it dropped in the low 40s in 1 hour! I'm originally from northern VA (Annandale / Fairfax) so it kinda felt like home today. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
The foot of snow was a most pleasant surprise. We don't get snowfalls this heavy very often here.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Same type of rocks i use in my tank, looks good.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think you'd be happier with a lot more...I bought over 100 lbs for a 55g tank and I still feel like I don't have quite enough.

First set up:

Then:

I just recently changed it again to try to help curb some aggression. There is a big pile in the center and it doesn't look like nearly enough anymore.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You tank now does look great!!

Right now I have alot of rockwork (holey rock) in my 55 gallon but Im switching over to a 75 gallon hopefully this weekend so I wanted to use the river rock and add a medium pile in the middle and make 4-5 smaller piles spread out so I can see fish more.

Heres what my tank looks like now.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
90 gallon w/ river rocks:

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kriskm said:
The river rock is very pretty, but your mbuna would probably like at least 2-3 times as much in there.
I'm giving the 55 gallon to my Mom along with all the mbunas and maybe the electric blue ahli once I get the tank cycled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts