Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: recently setup up a 150g w/ an UGF powered by an air pump, 3-4" crushed coral and a Koralia to a assist w/ circulation. Already owned all the above thus initial outlay minimal, as in nada. Inhabitants are 12 asst Africans each about an inch long. Cycled beautifully, reasonable flow rate, so far so good.

Plan: I figured as the fish matured I'd improve/upgrade filtration. 1) reverse flow UGF to minimize clogging tendancies. Accomplished w/ powerheads or return lines from canister(s). 2) add a canister or two to increase bio filtration.

I have an opportunity to purchase 2 new Fluval 304s for $116 ea. I have never decided whether it'd be better to have two smaller canisters or one large canister. There are 100+ user reviews on this site re: Fluval CFs. I read most of them. I'm torn on how to next proceed.

I provided the background/plan so as to better frame my question. My question is are the two 304s for $116 a good way to proceed? My question is not am I a dinosaur tied to his past 20+ yrs of successful fish keeping w/ UGFs. So, would you buy the two 304s or go w/ Fx5? Thx

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I own a fx5 and love it. I have it on a 125 and no problems. The thing you have to think about is with two, you have two cans to clean, but you have an extra if one fails. With one its one can to clean but if it fails you have just your ugf. I would go with the fx5 an make a custom spray bar for added circulation. The gamble is up to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts