Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first question is regarding demasonies. i have some "fry" from my adult group, which i decided to keep together a little longer than i usually would. theyre around 2 inches each, but it seems like one is holding (chewing not eating and swollen lower jaw), and one is undoubtedly showing dominant colors. could it be possible that theyre already breeding? they usually were sold or introduced into my colony by now.
Second question is that i have a quarentine/ sale tank which i use to house only those two, fish im selling or injuries. i recently added a few fish to my mixed mbuna tank, where one fish was beaten pretty badly, becoming the new lone fish resident. upon turning on the light, i realised the gravel was moving. the tank seems to be infested by little brown snails. i counted 12 cruising around on the glass. any ideas where theyre from? the tank was made out of rock, gravel, and even water from one of my main tanks, but none have snails.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes, demasoni can breed at 2".

Not sure on the snail issue...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, well the demasoni situation is solved then, shes probabally holding. but the snail situation is the one thats interesting/concerning me a lot more. treat them as pests? theyre not your normal mysteries either.. ill try for pics if i can scoop some of them out.

G

·
do you have real plants in there from the petstore? anacharis maybe? thats where the snails are from.. and all u gota do is put a nice sized peacock hap or lethrinop in there and itll eat the snails thats what they eat in the wild

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no plants. the tank i pulled everything from was a mbuna tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I was waiting for a pic of the snail. Long and pointy?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, long and pointed little black guys. their numbers are getting a little crazy now.. counted over 20.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Black is throwing me off, but long and pointed? Google MTS or Malaysian Trumpet Snail. I swear mine arrived with some new fish. Like as if the larvae were living in the bodily fluids of the fish.

Feed very very lightly. They only multiply if there is excess food or debris in your substrate.

·
Registered
442 Posts
YoYo loaches look decent and will happily clean up all of your snails. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
G

·
those never get bigger im pretty sure.. i had them in a tropical tank from some anacharis i got from the store.. loach should eat them up get a big loach thou if u can

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eh then ill let them do their thing. maybe make it a puffer fish tank. theyre cool, and they like snails, right?

G

·
any loach... clown loach, yoyo loach, angelicus botia, tiger loach whatever will eat them but u cant get a real small one... a big goldfish will eat those too.. .or a big hap

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol your persistant to see them eridacated.. ill throw in a comp and a syno or 2. just to make you happy :D

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Those look more like pond snails. Your mbuna will eat them. Just be really careful not to overfeed so they stop reproducing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those snails are unkillable. I once did a complete teardown of my filter and tank, draining every inch of water, removing every bit of gravel just to see them pop up 2 weeks later :p

I even inspected every piece of filter media and rinsed them with tap water to be sure.

Maybe 1 or 2 eggs survived that process.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I have gotten rid of pond, ramshorn and MTS. The easiest way is to not let them get out of control in the first place...starve them out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well im shutting down the tank anyway. the pearlmutt that got beat down ended up dying. im going to pull and boil everything in the tank, then reset it.. the funny thing is the filters literally brand new and i gotta replace everything now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A breeder in my area is selling something called "assassin snails." They supposedly feed on other snails. There we two bags (of 3 snails each) up for for sale at the recent auction; they went for a healthy price. Having no snail problem in any of my tanks, I was not among the bidders. Just wanted to alert to their existence.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts