Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm designing my UGJ system and wanted to get some opinions on it and my overall filtration plan. This is going to be a 135 gallon (72x18x24) Tanganyikan community tank with colorquartz substrate and a slate background. I think my diagram should explain everything.

I'm concerned about flow in the tank. My idea was to have a general one-sided flow to bring water from one side of the tank toward the sump overflow, while keeping debris suspended off the bottom. I wanted a closed loop to distribute flow evenly through the jets, but I'm unsure if having 2 pumps connected to one "loop" causes them to fight each other, decreasing flow.

The UGJ pumps are Aquaclear 70's (rated 400gph)

Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would think using 3/4" lines with 1/2" jets..this layout should work fine. You have 800gpm with 6 jets..133 per jet that is the recommended target. I'm in the beginning stages of building my 180 and will be using UGJ also...so keep the thread going, I'm interested in how they work. What software did you use for the drawing..it looks great!
Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is MS Paint, the pinnacle of graphic design software :lol:. Thanks for your comments, I was also thinking along the lines of 3/4 inch PVC. My substrate will be black, so I am going to experiment with RIT dye versus Krylon Fusion spray paint to camouflage it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would run a length of PVC pipe along the back of the tank to make your "closed-loop" a circle so the pumps aren't pushing directly against each other.

Use side outlet 90's for where the pump connects and the length of PVC goes across the back to connect both pumps together. Otherwise you should be okay.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see how that would make much of a difference, since both pumps are technically still pumping into the same circuit. I would think the issue is both pumps connected to the same loop versus having a closed loop for each pump.

But then again I'm no expert in fluid dynamics...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts