Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, give me your best guess. Picked these guys up at lfs that I usually never by from anymore, but they looked really good to me. One looks like it could be a sunshine or lemon Jake? The other possibly a Rubin/German Red? They could be hormoned and not male at all. They are about 1 1/2" long. Heck, they may be mutts, but I like them. :dancing: I'm getting a few different males ahead of time for my 125 project. All male tank of course. They are in my 30 hospital tank at the moment to make sure of no illness before jumping into the established 55 awaiting the 125. The yellow ones face will turn blue when he flares up. The red one has some blue in the face and some of the body is blue flared up. The first pic of the red is actually more what it looks like than the second. Thanks!

Yellow Peacock

Yellow Peacock

Red Peacock

Red Peacock

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just noticed that in the second yellow pic, it shows a pretty good side flex/rear end shot of the red one. I forgot to mention that it has blue tips on the end of the pectoral fins which can be seen in that pic.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Yellow one is like a Baenschi, but may be mixed with a Stuartgranti Maleri. Seems like a nice potential fish, I would just call him a Yellow Peacock. Nice head/body shape and the blue should get stronger on the jaw and on the body/fins.

Reddish one does seem very unnatural, and hormoned. See what it looks like a few months. The names don't mean a whole lot anymore with these. A Rubin/ Rubescens essentially looks just like your Yellow one, except more orange-red than yellow.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, thanks for the reply. I thought the yellow one was very nice looking myself. The Red just looked odd and different to me also. I hope it does turn out male though. I must agree my first thought was hormoned. And I believe you are right as far as the names not much meaning much anymore, the more I learn about these, I see the same fish literally called three different names. I'm sure my grand kids will call it the yellow one also. Lol! I'll update the pics once a month on the Red for sure just to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I get it, if you don't get them from reputable breeders, it's a guess. Thanks for the compliment. I was really more concerned if the Red will be male. We'll see? They do so many bad things to fish these days just to sell them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We've noticed a very big increase in hormoned fished in the last couple years. There are a lot of stores with tanks full of hormoned assorted peacocks within a 300 mile radius of our home. Seems as if the "got to have it now, instant gratification fish keeper" is being targeted. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I agree, like I said, I normally don't buy fish from where I bought these two simply because they are always sick or carrying some bad mojo with them. Won't mention the name, but chain pet store. But now that I have a hospital tank, I thought I would give these to little guys a whirl. Trying to get an all male setup ready. Here is another pic I just took of the weird little guy now that he is settled in. It looks as if paint is chipping off of him. Lol! Again, it may be a hormoned up female.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, after looking at some juvenile pics of the eureka red, I think you are right. Definitely has some sort of that. I call him little weirdo. Like fish can be called by name. Lol! He is definitely already the boss of the hospital tank. Oh yeah, a little off topic, but I put them in with 4 neons and they haven't even attempted to eat them. I'm shocked. Oh well, I will post another pic of him in a month and see the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.