Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I heard someone connecting two filters together in a "Daisy Chain" sort of deal.

So I was thinking can two FX6 be connected together meaning the following.

Step1 - Intake comes into can1 which has Bio Media all the way down.
Step2 - Once cycled through can1 the output tube will go to can2 input.
Step3 - Can2 will have the ability to run filter floss all the way down creating a crystal clear output to the tank.

Thoughts or issues?

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you are going to try it, can 2 should be before can 1.

Mechanical filtration and floss first, then biological filtration.

Not sure how it would work with the automatic shutoff that evacuates air from the filters??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BlueSunshine said:
If you are going to try it, can 2 should be before can 1.

Mechanical filtration and floss first, then biological filtration.

Not sure how it would work with the automatic shutoff that evacuates air from the filters??
What if both canisters are plugged in at once same time?
That way both do it at the same time?

Thanks for the idea on what should go first

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
It is not really double filtration in the sense that it would increase water clarity. I think you are better off just running each filter separately and installing the proper media in each filter to accomplish both increased filtering capacity and hence water clarity.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Deeda said:
It is not really double filtration in the sense that it would increase water clarity. I think you are better off just running each filter separately and installing the proper media in each filter to accomplish both increased filtering capacity and hence water clarity.
I agree. What you are getting is probably less flow. If you connect the filters, there will only be one output going into the main tank. If you run them separately, it would be twice the flow, not twice the filtration.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SoccerMbunaAndShak said:
Deeda said:
I agree. What you are getting is probably less flow. If you connect the filters, there will only be one output going into the main tank. If you run them separately, it would be twice the flow, not twice the filtration.
So why do people have 2-3 filters?

Sorry for asking these questions I'm new to bigger tanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
mdaniel1984 said:
SoccerMbunaAndShak said:
Deeda said:
So why do people have 2-3 filters?

Sorry for asking these questions I'm new to bigger tanks
It's all preference. Some people really like to go heavy with filtration. Sometimes, they need the 2-3 filters. I've never had fx6s before, but I know they have a lot of media capacity for canisters. If I had to choose canisters for a 125, I would do two fx6s.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Multiple filters are used for a variety of reasons.
1) Redundancy in case one stops works or the ability to alternate cleaning of the filters.
2) Increased filtering capacity.
3) Increasing water movement or circulation while also providing filtration.
4) Higher stocking numbers will also benefit from additional filtration but will also require more frequent filter cleaning and maintenance.

I posted just a few reasons off the top of my head but sure others will offer suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts