Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever kept Tourqouise Rainbows and a pair of multies in a 29 gallon ?

If so how many Rainbows to school properly?

·
Registered
427 Posts
What is the scientific name for rainbows? I'd like to research them to find out more about their requirements and behaviors.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Is this the one you are thinking of?
Melanotaenia lacustris, Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish, Turquoise Rainbow Fish
So many rainbows!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish is the varity i want. The coloration in person is stunning. The computer shots look bad though.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
"The Turquoise Rainbow Fish is relatively easy to care for. They can withstand a wide range of temperatures, but should be kept in water in a range between 68 and 76 degrees Fahrenheit. The pH level of their water should be slightly alkaline, with a range between seven and eight. Min tank size 20g keep 2 females per male." Yep it seems a reasonable dither fish for multies
(bit big though at 4") ?
I use zebra and pearl danios but then each to their own. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I always thought the Rainbows, if given an environment according to their own needs, needed more swimming room than a 29G. And plants for cover. I know a lot of people use them successfully as "top swimmers" with Malawi, so they are compatible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
rainbow babies are sooooooo tiny, dont worry about tryingf to breed them in that tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.