Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

My Girlfriends Nanos are doing ok but I am just trying to find some other cichlids that would be good peaceful mid-sized cichlids for her. And that are in demand. I mentioned Mixteco Blues to her and I am going to show her a pic of them today but I was just curious if Mexteco Blues are easy to keep and libreed? I am just looking for peaceful, easy to keep and can live in tap water, and easy to breed. Also we would rather like to stick with Jeff Rapps. Thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I only saw them for the first time in a lfs yesterday, very pretty despite not being colored up in crowded tank. I've been told they are more mellow than firemouths, but otherwise conditions are identical. But no personal experience with them yet though.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
i dont have any experience with them, but *** heard multiple times they are more passive then firemouths, and are smaller growing (5") everything else, as mentioned, is the same as a firemouth.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I understand that you guys dont have experience with them but I am sure there are others that have. And I am not mad or anything and I thank you for responding. I am not trying to get attention or anything its just I know theres some people out there that know about them and stuff. Thanks again for responding I have heard that they are mellow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I've had cutteri, related to the nanos you're keeping, and they'd be good choices, along with the Thorichthys species. I've had sajicas, as well...

Never had rainbow cichlids, but they'd probably be good for her collection, as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Firemouths look good.They are not exactly aggressive.It all depends on the fish. :roll:

But, convicts, look ok, but are "underwater rabbits".They breed, ALOT!

I can't think of much more at the moment...
What size is the tank?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have kept Sajica and Rainbows and she really likes them as well! I have never kept Cutteri but they look AMAZING!! And she really likes them too. Sorry I didn't give the tank size.......that was stupid :roll: !! Right now she has a 75 gal and a 20 gal H. She is going to use the 20 gal for fry and the 75 for keeping cichlids until she moves and then she is wanting to get a 125 somtime soon! She has 4 Nano's : 1 Male and 3 Female. Although one Female isn't looking very good and it hasn't been looking that good for about 2 weeks. I am currently watching them until she gets her water cleared of Nitrates. I was just trying to gather info so that when she is ready we can decide. I am hoping the 3 Nano's pull through and dont die on her as she will have lost 3 Nano's. So are Cutteri and Blue Mixteco's hardy? Like are they more tolerant than Nano's and a good choice for a beginner? Because we have had problems with Nano's as I have been told they are sensitive and alot of people have had problems with them. We just want a mild aggressive, mid-sized, easy to keep, and easy breed CA. And suitable for beginners.

She really would like to stay away from Firemouths and Convicts because they are so common. And there are better cichlids out there to get a hold of and to keep. Also I think it would be best for her if we find cichlids with mild aggression and can make a peaceful community. She really loves the Nano's and agrees with me that a peaceful community is best for her. And I really do like peaceful community tanks! They are so beautiful because of the coloration of platies, swordtails, and the cichlids. And everyone can get along fine without trouble. Also it just looks more natural.

Thanks again guys! :) :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts