Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having problems with my fish dying one by one. I'm new to African cichlids but have had my tank going strong for about six months and in the last 2 I have lost 4 fish. They all seem to get along fine without much aggression. All the fish have looked like this a few days before they die. All the other fish are unaffected, it's just one at a time. Looked it up and looked like TB to me. I don't want to be that web MD guy though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Parameters: PH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, Temp 80, 36 Gallon tank, 30 gallon and 40 gallon HOB filtration. 40% water change weekly.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!

Sorry you have lost fish as it's always difficult even when they are new.

The fish in your pic does look beat up and it is possible the fuzziness I see is a secondary infection. Your water parameters look good though I would lower the water temperature to between 76F and 78F as warmer temps can accelerate a secondary infection such as fungus.

What are the dimensions of your 36G tank and is it a rectangular tank?

I have a feeling you have too many fish in that tank just judging by the fish I see in your picture. Can you post how many fish you do have and what species they are?

Are you adding any other products to the tank besides using a water conditioner?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is 30" long, 21" tall, 11" deep. It's a bow front. They are all from lake Malawi I believe. The guy from my local family owned fish store is very knowledgeable and he helped me with the choices. I turned down the temp. I have recently used some algae gone since my tank sits near a window and was having algae blooms. Other than that nothing. I have a 50 gallon rectangle tank that my plan is to move them over and add more rock work and some plants and sand substrate, saving up the money to get that whole set up and tank cycled before I have anywhere to move these guys. Here are some pictures of the fish and tank. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Did he tell you the species names? The first one reminds me of venustus. The yellow barred fish in the bottom pics look like crabro to me.

I would not put them in a 30" tank unless they were one inch (measurement includes tail) fry

What are the dimensions of the 50G? I'm thinking at most 48" x 12"?

The crabro I would want 48x18 minimum. And for venustus I would want a 72" tank.

Maybe post pics of each fish (closeup profile is ideal) in Unidentified to find out what you have.

Agree the first fish looks beat up. What do the feces look like? Thick and food-colored or thready and clear/white?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.