Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added 3ppm amonia 2 days later 0 amonia 0 nitrite. 100ppm nitrate. What do i do if I want bigger bioload. Change water or just add more amonia and do it again??? ty :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
3ppm is enough to support a pretty dang large bioload. I'd do 3ppm until the tank is at 0 ammonia and nitrite after 24 hours. What size tank and what are you planning to stock

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20 long. shellies or julis, Caudopunctatus. Ihave 120 inbasement. Just trying fishless on 20 first to make sure i got it right. So i dont need to water change, cause i know 100 ppm it high for nitrate. So douse again maybe to 2ppm this time and in 24 no amonia or nitrite. Do water change good to go??

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
People have reported that doing a large water change has kinda disrupted the bacteria and have had spikes after that, so with that being said I would do several small water changes to get then nitrates down to where they should be.

Maybe do a smaller WC every other day until you get it right. Meanwhile you can continue dosing up to 2ppm to keep the bacteria fed and going. This way you know whether it is good to go once it is down to acceptable levels and ready for fish.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You're pushing more ammonia than you need and that's why your nitrates are so high. I'd suggest a 25%-30% water change every day for a few days. When nitrate is down to 20ppm or so, then dose 1-2ppm of ammonia, no more. If it's 0 after 24 hours, you're good to go. If not, wait another day. When it's 0, dose again and test again after 24 hours.

As ben said, don't do a massive water change unless you don't mind dealing with a potential nitrite spike. These spikes usually last a day or two. I've seen them occur on newly cycled tanks as have others.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I have have already added 18 drops amonia tonight, that will be roughly 3ppm, will do 1/3 water change in morning. I will then let settle for 1 hour. Then check amonia and nitrite. If all is 0. I will check nitrates? if Under 40 ppm good to go if higher water change?? TY

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why would you do the water change after dosing ammonia but before testing?

If you do this, you won't really know how your system handled the dose of ammonia because you'll be "helping" the tank get rid of some of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was recently doing a fishless in my 55gal and at the end of my cycle I did a very large water change because that's what I've read in most guides. I ended up getting a nitrite spike after that so I agree with what prov356 suggested, no large water change is needed just do a series of smaller ones over a few days to get nitrates down.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Bodenhimer said:
OK, I have have already added 18 drops amonia tonight, that will be roughly 3ppm, will do 1/3 water change in morning. I will then let settle for 1 hour. Then check amonia and nitrite. If all is 0. I will check nitrates? if Under 40 ppm good to go if higher water change?? TY
Add the ammonia, test ammonia/nitrite after 24 hours, then do water changes if need is indicated by a nitrate test.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tested amonia nitrites. 0 today. nitrates was between 80 and 120 ppm. I did 1/3 water change. So i will check nitrates tomorrow. I f high water change another 1/3? TY

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Yes, another third daily for the next 2-3 days, and don't add more ammonia during that time. When are you getting your fish?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i will make order this week if my 120 is ready to go. Will do tests on big tank. I have goldfish cycling that tank. 13 gold fish in 120. Hoping when i get new fish that 13 goldfish makes enough bioload. Maybe i could take them out and do fishless the rest of way. To make more bioload.WHat do you think?

Not sure how I will split these fish up? Want to make pairs.

My list of fish are
6 callochromis flame rainbow
8 gold occelatus
7 transcriptus gombi
6 caudopunctatus

So far. Might change up a bit. He has regani kipili that I really want. Not sure if they would trash the gombies? He also has buescheri gombies was thinking about.

What is optimal temperature for these fish? Im thinking 78 or 79
TY
Travis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts