Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 75 gallon aquarium from my buddy that came with a current USA T5 light fixture.

This thing has a fan in it that is just too loud for my bedroom where the tank is.

So I'm going to replace it.

I am having a hard time deciding between the Hagen Glo T5 HO unit and the Coralife Aqualight.

I don't have any plants in my tank and it is all Mubna.

Has anyone used both of these?

Opinions on the two?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Would the other fixtures mentioned not be equivalent to just unplugging the fan? I like the idea of the LEDs myself, I have a Current fixture and the fan is a little loud.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was faced with the same decision between lights. I picked the coralife because of the way it sits on the tank, and still allows the use of glass tops. The hagen light clamps to the rim of the tank, making it very difficult to find a top that would fit. I think the hagen light is designed for planted tanks without tops. I am very happy with the coralife fixture, it is very bright, silent, and doesn't really generate any heat. The fixture itself will be warm to the touch after running for a few hours, but it doesn't create enough heat to raise the water temp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aedes said:
no plants?
go LED
I wish I could spare the $400 for the LED lights ... sigh ..... :(

brinkles said:
Would the other fixtures mentioned not be equivalent to just unplugging the fan? I like the idea of the LEDs myself, I have a Current fixture and the fan is a little loud.
With the Current fixture being completely enclosed, I'm thinking running it without the fan would quickly overheat the bulbs no?

shellies215 said:
I was faced with the same decision between lights. I picked the coralife because of the way it sits on the tank, and still allows the use of glass tops. The hagen light clamps to the rim of the tank, making it very difficult to find a top that would fit. I think the hagen light is designed for planted tanks without tops. I am very happy with the coralife fixture, it is very bright, silent, and doesn't really generate any heat. The fixture itself will be warm to the touch after running for a few hours, but it doesn't create enough heat to raise the water temp.
Thanks!!

I'm going to try n swing by my LFS to see it on a tank. I've got glas lids as well which I would like to be able to use... :fish:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have used extensively the Hagen T5HO and the Marineland double brights. Depends on what light ouput you are looking for. Between the 2 T5HO you mention, I would suggest the Hagen's are superior in the materials used - ballasts, etc as the output is superior -

On a 75G I would say that a 36-48 Double Bright (actually 36" - it's just the legs that will extend to 48") - $185 Canadian or cheaper in the US would be a great set-up, but that's me and my lighting tastes. But for a fish only tank, 75G at that, the 36" Double Bright will do a very nice job. A lot less heat as well as a LOT LESS power usage - PLUS you have some nite blue led's for night time if you're into that. The downside of the blue's is that you need to turn them on manually as there is only one power cord for the whites and blues - meaning if you have a timer on the day lights, you can't put a timer on for the blues only later at night. But for $185, they are pretty nice. I bought mine stateside for a,lot cheaper. Another upside to the LED's , for me, is you get a real nice shimmer effect - if your wayer ripples at the surface from a spraybar, etc - the shimmer effect is really nice and gives a lot more natural look in my opinion than the "operating room - surgical theatre" lighting from the T5HO.
Another note / clarification - I disagree with shellies215 - the Hagen's WILL sit right on your glass canopy with some legs - just like most other lights do. He is right though in suggesting the clamps - another option they provide in the box - are a PITA.
Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ok, I didn't know they came with legs, The picture on the box, and the display in the store was the clamps. Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have a Coralife Aqualight(24") on my 20g, and it seems to eat bulbs. So when I was shopping for a new fixture for my 72 bowfront, I figured to try something new and went with the 48" double bulb version of this(http://www.kensfish.com/deepblueholightfixtures.html), and so far I'm very pleased. Very reasonably priced too. Comes with a 10,000k and actinic bulb, plus 8 LED moonlights. The only downside is that if you want just the moonlights(always on), you need to turn off the other two bulbs separately, which you can do as they each have their own switch. A separate cord and switch for the moonlights, and this fixture would be a homerun IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the top of your tank is enclosed and your tank has no plants you might go the route I did. I have 3 different Current USA light fixtures. Numerous cords to plug in, excessive heat and noisy fans make them a PTA. I ran them on my saltwater tanks.

My 150g AC is built into a wall so the light fixture(s) does not show so I bought a twin T-8 light fixture ($14.97) and two bulbs ($7.97) at Lowes. Works great. Will it grow plants or corals, no. Does it illuminate the fish just fine, yes. And for less than thirty bucks you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've been looking at the marineland double bright LEDs on youtube and I think I may just go with them.

J&L has them on sale, looks like I can have em shipped to my door for $167 which I think will work out to my budget.

Just looks like the corners are going to end up being dark but I think some of the fish may like that.

Thank you all for your replies!!

Now i've just gotta figure out how to plump this sump I just setup... :dancing:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Here is shot of my 75g with no other lights on in the house besides the Marineland DB's. For me it is just right as a full 48" light seemed to be too bright for my tastes. I still have the Jungle Val and a Marimo Moss ball that are growing just fine in there with them. HTH's

·
Registered
228 Posts
It would be easier and cheaper to replace the fan with a quite one. most fans are just size orinted. so you can find a quite fan the same size preaty easy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think a Noctua fan would cure your problem a lots cheaper. I have used them in computer builds they are very quite you have to put your head right you to them on low settings to hear anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts