Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It's not going to be easy.

Ghost shrimp have a pelagic larval stage that is also marine. That means that after the eggs hatch you need to adapt them to saltwater to raise the larvae. During this time the size and amount of food necessary to keep them alive needs to be very carefully supplied and regulated. After the larvae settle they make their way back to freshwater.

You may be better off breeding shrimp that have an entirely freshwater lifecycle like Cherry shrimp.

Andy

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Really?

We used to raise ghost shrimp in completely freshwater.. not in very large numbers, but we did have survivors. It is something I never knew about them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My apologies. You are correct. I was thinking the Amano shrimp when I wrote it. The ghost shrimp or Glass shrimp commonly sold in the U.S. is Palaemontes paludosus and the larval stage does survive in freshwater.

Although feeding the larvae is still difficult requiring green water first, followed by rotifers, freshly hatched brine shrimp, and finally finely crushed flake food. They can survive on detritus in a larger aquarium without any predators but you won't get much of a survival rate.

Andy

·
Registered
705 Posts
i know there is readily available hikari shrimp food and such. just get a heavily planted tetra setup and toss some in there. i do also know that iodine or something similar can be necessary to get breeding going. pretty easy to tell when one has eggs too. another alternative to breeding ur own fish food, guppies, swordtails, mollys, pretty much any live bearer.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have 8 ghost shrimp in a fry tank!
out of the 8, 6 are female holding.
3 released the shrimplete only 1 or 2 survie to the next day. :lol:

·
Registered
190 Posts
so since brandon has abandoned his quest I believe I'll hijack his thread lol
Day One:
just bought decent amount of ghost shrimp and going to try my hand at breeding them
they are in a 10g fry tank by themselves with an airstone and 20% water changes every two days.
I have algea discs, brine shrimp, and veggies for feed depending on the stages, if I can make it that far. I'll post as I go.
Gave away two today to my oscar as a treat lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
In my experience, if you are looking to breed shrimp for feeders, cherry shrimp are a better bet. Set up a 20 long with a sponge filter, throw a wad of java moss and a dozen cherry shrimp into it. Come back in a month. Cherry shrimp are easy to breed. Their young are born fully formed with no larval stage and they are pretty prolific.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hmm wish I would of asked opinions before I started this experiment. That sounds a million times easier than the process of breeding ghost shrimp.

Cherry shrimp will be next if I fail here.
At any case I believe I'll have quite a few weeks of treats for my Oscar lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
The cherries are also harder IMO and much more fun to watch. I started with 25 now I get 200 plus every 3 months in a 55g planted.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's just a planted tank with BN pleco's, sponge filter, heater, sand bottom, guppies which eat my shrimp but not very many very often. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Still no eggs that I have noticed. However I did see a tiny reddish looking worm wriggiling around in the tank. Could it be a hatched one or maybe just an introduced worm somehow??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts