Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I am about to be torched!! Let it begin. I have no affiliation with the pondguru or great wave engineering.

DISCLAIMER: There is nothing scientific about the following. Just my observations.

I have been raising African cichlids for thirty years plus.

Original set up:

55 Gallon Tank with 18 to 22 African cichlids (Overstocked)
Cobalt EXT, Aquaclear 70, Fluval C4, and extra large sponge filter
All Filters have Filter Max IV pre-filters.

The canister and HOB filters had sponges, some Matrix and some bio rings.

average water perimeters: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 40 Nitrates.
It seemed, it did not matter how often or how much water I changed, nitrates were always high. Sometimes 3 times a week. If I did less than two water changes a week 80 nitrates were easily achieved.

5 months ago I began changing all of my biomedia to biohome ultimate.

Current set up:

55 Gallon Tank with 18 to 22 African cichlids (Overstocked)

I have seven pounds of biohome ultimate in the EXT, 1 pound in the Aquaclear 70 and half a pound in the Fluval C4 and still have the sponge filter going. I still have no other media other than sponges and biohome ultimate.

I now do one 50% water change a week.

Two weeks of daily water tests for the past two week have all been identical: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10 Nitrates

Call me crazy, but this stuff works and I haven't lost a fish in quite some time.

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just from the videos I have watched on this media, and to my limited knowledge this media does seem to be pretty awesome in its porosity.
Im just skeptic on the cost/effectiveness ratio.

·
Registered
449 Posts
jcarson said:
Just from the videos I have watched on this media, and to my limited knowledge this media does seem to be pretty awesome in its porosity.
Im just skeptic on the cost/effectiveness ratio.
I believe when I bought it the price was $19.00 for a kilo (2.2 pounds); Fluval and other name brand media, at least near me, is $11.00 for 500 grams (a little over a pound). To me the cost is very reasonable.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
It will be interesting to see if your nitrates are still as low when the new media has been in use as long as the old stuff that you replaced was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.