Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 3 wild caught Tanzania Goldhead compressiceps. They were supposedly vented and are 1 male and 2 female. They are at least 3"-4" in length. I've had them for almost a week now.

The problem is, one of them, I would assume the male, has decided he needs the entire tank to himself and has forced the other two up to the upper corner of the tank, behind the intake and spray bar of the canister filter.

I have a fair amount of rock work. A pile of lace rock and a decent size pile of texas holey rock. I even added about 10 small and medium cichlid stones today. Is there anything else I could do short of removing the one or the two? If had to, I would rather remove the aggressor which would probably require removing all of the rocks.

This is a standard 75 gallon which also has a wild group of adult cyps and 4 Eretmodus cyanostictus Kigoma.

I've actually kept and bred altos before but never had much issues but they were never wild caught or maybe I was just lucky.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Pop in a tank divider or two. Let the females settle and then when they have caves or shells they are used to (couple of weeks) using (too small for the male to get in idealy) let the male across.
Yep some WC Altos get on with it very quickly others kind of need to get the females happy before having the male in the same area.
Better than a pair of my WC calvus, the female beet up the male. Then when reintroduced after being separated by a barrier, the male beet up the female. Its kind of taken months to get em balanced and happily living together. 8)
My male kind of needed to grow far bigger than the female for him to start being interested in her in a sexual way rather than just and aggresion way.

All the best James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts