Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Brichardi in a 20 gallon long tank. I've had them in the tank for about 4 months now without any fry. I'm wondering if I have two males. Can two male Brichardi co-exsist without aggression?

One Brichardi is about 3 inch and the other is about 2.5 inch.

·
Registered
705 Posts
so long as they hang out together sooner or later youll get some babies. may take awhile. signs of my trio breeding was not seeing em much and finding all sorts of piles of sand from where they dug underneath the rocks. GL to ya. try adding baby brine shrimp to their staple diet. also try offering them caves that you cant see at all. my trio seems shy about showing what theyre up to.

·
Registered
642 Posts
With only two the odds of getting two males, two females, or a m/f pair are even which makes the odds of getting a m/f pair only one in three. So yea, it's possible you have two males or two females.

I had a group of seven what I thought were juvies and they spawned within 6 weeks for me. I still have 4 of them and they seem to be two and two. My babies are 3 1/2 weeks old and I'm expecting more soon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a trio of 3 Brichardi for about two years in a 20g high tank. I never witnessed any spawning activity or aggression. I have no idea of the sex of the fish I had.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i had to seperate my pair from all other fish in the tank and and got 2 spawns
also i think if they havent killed each other probably a m and f because they would kill all the others like mine did, i went through 150 dollars in fish trying to get them started

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Norm66 said:
With only two the odds of getting two males, two females, or a m/f pair are even which makes the odds of getting a m/f pair only one in three. So yea, it's possible you have two males or two females.
You covered m/m, f/f, and m/f, but you left out f/m. The odds of having one male and one female is 50/50.

Still not odds I'd bet on ;)

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)

P.S. If you assume that each fish has a 50/50 chance of being male or female, here are the odds of getting at least one of each in a batch of fish :

# fish - odds of at least one fish of each sex
1 -- 0%
2 -- 50%
3 -- 75%
4 -- 87.5%
5 -- 93.75%
6 -- 96.875%

P.P.S. Just because you have a male and a female doesn't 100% guarantee that they will be mates. I suspect that in many (most?) cases, though, the urge to reproduce will kick in and she'll eventually take the only available male

1 - 7 of 7 Posts