Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and bought my new canister today and am having a bear of a time getting it to stay primed. It came with what I beleive are the "updated intake and spray bar" since it is grey and is in several 4 inch peices that connect with O-Rings in between. I have checked over the little bit of instructions they give you and it all shows the older style intake and spray bar. There is a picture of the assembly of all that and everything looks to be there, I did get an extra 90 deg elbow peice tho in the intake bag of parts.

Have tried emptying everything and redoing it with the spray bar in the water, out of the water, took off the cap on the intake and manually poured water in the tube. Always seems like there is air trapped in the intake and can see the bubble getting pulled down the intake hose. The filter quiets down for a few seconds and pumps then you see air going in and must build up then it starts to cavitate and stops pumping and then repeats.

Any idea would be appreciated since their help line hours are done for the night and Im a night owl.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I figured it out, on the intake I had the tube slid up all the way on the part that hangs over the back of the tank. Seen in the directions the picture of the red ! showing not to slide it up all the way, so slid it down to just over the o-ring and waalaa.

Would still like to know why I recieved the extra elbow peice in that spray bar kit? Maybe so you can mount the spray bar in a vertical position rather than the horizontal like the picture shows?

How would you set up you intakes and output with this filter and the fluval 405 for best circulation?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a 405 and 2217 but I don't have the kit for the 2217. If I had the kit I'd put the spraybar and fluval outlet on the back wall towards the center and the intakes in each corner.

For me since the standard eheim spraybar pretty much forces you to mount it on a side I have my outlets on each side and my intakes in the center.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed my 2215, and it was about the hardest thing I've ever done in my life!!

And there are absolutely no instructions on the internet... NONE!!! And I had no idea that the intake would be on the bottom, not the top, of the filter. And no pictures of one set up!

But after 2+ hours it is installed and working great. It is soooo quiet! I guess I need to keep my HOB filter for a few weeks so that there is plenty of bacteria in the tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah now that I have it all figured out and running, all I can say is, WOW this thing is quiet. After having some issues of getting it primed and going that once I did get it going I had to feel in front of the spray bar to make sure something was coming out it. So when they say silent, they mean silent.

My only thing that I am wondering is with the spray bar mounted on one side of the tank spraying across the top to the other side I could only use 2 of the 3 tube pieces. So only have 2/3 of the holes for the spray bar do you think this is restricting the flow by 1/3?

Should I ream out the holes on the two pieces that I am using or put the third one on and have spray from back to front?

Or just leave it as it is?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Flow isn't being restricted. Your velocity is higher. To combat that, if you don't like the exit velocity, you could drill slightly larger holes.

My Eheim is quieter than my Fluval! The noise from my tank are air bubbles popping and the motor hum from my Fluval.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.