Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two ?'s

First is about keeping Trophs,Calvus and Compressiceps together.
I have them in separate tanks,due to dietary needs,but noticed that the Calvus and Comps are always hiding in their shells. Then I put a couple into my troph/mix tank and they are always out and about. Do they really have to eat blood worms and shrimp?Can't they do well on NLS and Algea pellets that I feed for the Trophs?

Second ? Is about my Black Nangu. I believe that I have a pair possibly trying to breed. They are doing this sort of quiver dance and one is turning almost white. I've never seen it do that. Is this breeding or territorial behaviour?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Altos do just fine on NLS, and I never have used blood worms.

As far as them successfully competing for food in a school of tropheus? I don't recommend trying it. There are much more suitable dithers for altos, it seems that trophs stress them out. And, do not mix comps and calvus- the males will compete and the winner will breed with females from either species.

Sounds like dominance or courtship behavior- time will tell. :popcorn: Altos change color more than any other tang I've raised...

·
Registered
95 Posts
My calvus hid a lot before I added 16 cyps to my tank. Now they are out and confident.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hoping to hear more replies about mixing the herbivores and carnivores.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
No worries if you are feeding a high quality pellet like NLS. But- trophs shouldn't have blood worms, and do not make good tankmates for altos. So- feed them the same stuff, but keep them in different tanks.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
To be honest I don't trust Calvus on red blood worms. I have fed them live black worms before but I try not to get too exotic with their diet. I stick to NLS and frozen krill (Krill once a week and isn't really necessary, just part of my routine :D ).

I don't like trophs with Calvus. Their is always argument in play as too wether or not this combo is "good" for them. I know my Altos, behaviorally, quite well and all I can tell you is that they behave noticeably more alert, jumpy and generally not at ease with Troph groups present.

I always thought of Altos as the pipe smoking old man in the neighborhood who waves from his porch. He's a great guy with a sunny disposition, until you walk on his grass! :lol: Even then he may not get up and throw rocks at you, but if you look close and listen he's cursing you under his breath and counting the seconds til you get the heck off his grass! :lol:

Point being that just because they don't hop out of the tank and leave you a post it note telling you to please move the trophs off the "grass" doesn't mean they love tropheus. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
OK, now I gotta hear the personality sketch of the other Tanganyikans you keep. :lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DJRansome said:
OK, now I gotta hear the personality sketch of the other Tanganyikans you keep. :lol:
+1 That made me crack a smile since that old guy you speak of happens to live 2 houses down from me. :lol:

·
Registered
256 Posts
:lol: +2 !
...and I'm envisioning a "What Tang are you?" thread! :popcorn:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts