Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 (6' long) set-up, and I am ready to add 1-2 colonies of Tropheus. I really like the Rainbow and Red ones (Sorry don't know scientific names). I wanted advice on how many to buy and weather 1 colony or 2 would be successful. Below is my current tank stock:

6 Black Pearl Calvus
6 Frontosa
6 Synodontis Multipontatus

Ideally I would want both red and rainbow, but I know the biggest downside is cross breeding. I am interested in all advice, but more about copesisity than breeding.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I wouldn't even dream of putting Tropheus in with the Frontosa. I have also seen pics of full grown calvus bit in half by Frontosas.
I personally would do one type of Tropheus as I have found that one group will always be dominant and the other group will not show their best colours.
If you are to mix them I would suggest two groups that are very different ie: Moori and Brichardi or Duboisi or poli or anectens.
Also trying to get two groups that look very different from each other or two that are found at opposite ends of the lake (Bemba/Linangu).
A lot of people that want to keep two groups together will go with Duboisi as one of the groups as they seem less likely to crossbreed.
I have seen videos of Dubs breeding with Ikola.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I`ve only done Tropheus as a species tank and right now I have 30 Ikola kaiser in a 150 gallon tank. I like to give tropheus lots of water movement and I also over filter.

·
2,088 Posts
Agree with Noddy on not mixing Fronts and Trophs. Two totally different fish with drastically different lifestyles.

Much more likely to have long term success with a single variant than mixing species. The crossbreeding is a big deal, as most knowledgeable Tropheus keepers would not buy fry from a tank with mixed fish, as there is just too much risk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts