Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have today ordered my first set of fish for my Tanganyikan community. I ordered quite in a hurry as to have the fish with the next consignment of fish. I liked the Tropheus and jot down the order.
However on reading more in depth today, i came aware that Tropheus might not be a good idea for a Tanganyikan community as they tend to attack newly intorduced species. I need some help on this, as i would like a nice variety in a Tanganyikan community and don't know if this is possible with Tropheus involved. I like the Tropheus but would not like to have them only.

I have also found out a youtube clip with a wonderful tank, with many tropheus and also lelupi which were introduced later, and seems there was no harm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dimensions are 120cmx44cmx55cm. 240ltrs. so far no fish introduced. i managed to change the order and the first tanganyikan sp. to be introduced will be the fivebar cichlid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are always exceptions to any rule, BUT, if this is your first experience with keeping tropheus then keep them species only. And only one varient of tropheus. It's just not worth the cost and hassle to try and make it work. You have a 75 gallon tank. Pick your favorite varient of troph and get 18-24 F1 fry, then stop stocking and see if you can make that work. Maybe at some point (once you have kept them alive for 6 months to a year, for example) you can try adding some Goby cichlids. If you want a community tank with more than one species then try other Tangs. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts