Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying 22 Tropheus sp. "Black" (Pemba), they are about 2" now. They will be going in a 125 gallon (6' tank). I have 4 AC110 filters running.

I'm wondering if I can maybe add a small group of petros or maybe a group of a different variant of troph. Or am I maxed out with the 22 pembas?

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have kept 20 adult tropheus in a 90 so I think you could add a little of something else in a 125. Just don't make it tropheus.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Are you hoping to breed them?
Are you hoping to leave the females to raise young in the main tank?

That sort of tank and yep do not add anything.

But if its just a show tank or you use brooding tanks for the holding females (or strip (yuk)) then yep I could suggest a few tankmates.

All the best James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't care about breeding them. Just looking for a nice show tank.

Open to any suggestions......

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sounds like a perfect colony to me, I wouldn't mess with cyps, they are too delicate for the tropheus IMHO, if you have to add something, Synos would be a great choice, just like Northshore said. Pemba are great, was my first colony :thumb:

Ray

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Only found Jumbo Cyps and big ones at that in tanks of 6 foot or over, go well with adult Troph long term. A group of Synodontis lucipinnis (AKA Dwarf petricola) (often sold as petricola but are not) and a pair of gobies would be my choice. Of caurse there is no real reason in a big tank why you could not have a pair of medium Julies or medium Lamprologines in there but these start to take up territory space in and near the rockwork so not too many in a 125g. Or even a very robust shelly like Lepidiolamprologus hecqui or Telmatochromis sp. "Temporalis Shell" if you have bottom territory space to spair.

Thing to be aware of is when adding anything you can slightly stress the Troph group and add disease they are not used to (esp goby cichlids with thier high gut load of bacteria etc.) Find feeding em on medicated or Metro saoked food at this time seems to help as well as keeping anything to be added in quarentine for six weeks first.

On the petros I can not give much advice. I have not tried more than singles (which did fine) with Tropheus. I hear groups can dominate Tropheus too much and yet others find it fine.

Thing that suprises me about your tank is running it with 4 AC110s. Do you not find detritus biulds up in the rockwork? For ease of maintainance you could add airstones or a submerged water mover or two, to keep these areas clean.

All the best James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
24Tropheus said:
A group of Synodontis lucipinnis (AKA Dwarf petricola) (often sold as petricola but are not)......... a pair of medium Julies..... Or even a very robust shelly like... Telmatochromis sp. "Temporalis Shell" if you have bottom territory space to spair.
WOW!! You must be peeking in my windows...I moved all my Tangs into my 125.

5 T. temporalis shell
3 J. dickfeldi juvies
5 syno lucipinnis
4 syno multipunctatus
1 lamp multi
1 tropheus chimba red
22 tropheus pemba
6 small plecos
I couldn't stand to part with my 8 big clown loaches, so they're in there too.

Been together for a few days now and everybody seems happy.

As far as junk collecting in the rock work, hasn't been a problem....tried airstones and ended up with tons of sand in the filters.

Thanks to all for the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts