Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a male Tropheus. brichardi ulwile out of my 100g troph tank and put him in with my labs in a 55 hex. He was confined to the top right corner behind the power head in the bull t. bembas territory. If he came down the bemba would chase him to left side of the tank where the dominant t. brichardi was and get chased back and forth all day long. This went on for a couple of weeks. I wanted to get him out of my troph tank before he got too stressed and got bloat.

Its a much smaller tank but at least he'll be able move around freely.

He is about the same size as the big male lab maybe slightly bigger. I've seen him scrap before and I know if the labs get too testy he'll be able to hold his own, if not completely dominate.

The labs are curious but pretty much keeping there distance. I'm hoping he'll act as a dither for the labs as they are kind of skittish.

Anyway I just wanted to share that, I'll update with observations.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far so good as of this morning. I saw the male lab chase him briefly but for the most part they ignore him.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update; The troph is acting like a dither, all the labs and the burmese botia are out in the open now. I can even get right up to the tank and watch them, something I could never do before. The troph is settling in and looks to be begining to claim his territory.

I've also noticed that the troph craves attention. When I get real close to the tank and watch him he will start to display for me. When he flashes his eyes go from almost black to a very bright blue.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sounds good. It's good you made a move for him to better his health. After a while you way be able to add him back into your original tank.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chunkanese said:
Sounds good. It's good you made a move for him to better his health. After a while you way be able to add him back into your original tank.
I think that would be a swift death sentence, I don't think I'll even try. On the other hand he seems very comfortable in his new home. He is not swimming up'n down all day and is starting to color up again. Not taking any **** from the labs either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts