Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an empty 75 gallon tank and have taken in interest in setting up single species tropheus tank. Wow, these guys ain't cheap. Based on a quick search of online stores, stocking the tank with 12-15 juvenile fish would be well over $200. What is the reason for their expensive cost? Harder to come by than Mbuna and other Malawis?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It is the fact that you need so many fish is what makes the situation expensive. You cannot just go with 5 fish.

Ten years ago I bought 30 tropheus kirizas for $423 Canadian. Two years later I sold the group for $395. Does not sound too great but over 15 months I sold 303 juveniles for $1491 so came out ahead $1463 not counting food and operating costs. Most I ever made in 15 years of breeding African cichlids!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with what was said...Unlike Peacocks or some Haps, tropheus require to be kept in colonies and you`ll end up with none if your ratios aren`t right.Yes, they are a little expensive but I love my tank of Ikolas more than my other 2. These little guys are voracious eaters, never rest, and color up beautifully. Save your $$ and you`ll be rewarded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.