Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since my tank is not big enough for mbunas, im thinking about some tropheus duboisi maswas.
if anyone has had experience with these, please let me know.
id especially like to know any other cichlids that can go with them.
thanks

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Your tank is too small for Tropheus too.

The reality is, your tank is too small for any mouthbrooding cichlid from the Rift lakes.

What you could keep, is something like a pair of Neolamprologus brichardi, or perhaps a family of shelldwellers, such as Lamprologus multifasciatus. The tank is really too small to mix different types of cichlids, due to territory requirements.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Your tank is too small for Tropheus too.

The reality is, your tank is too small for any mouthbrooding cichlid from the Rift lakes.

What you could keep, is something like a pair of Neolamprologus brichardi, or perhaps a family of shelldwellers, such as Lamprologus multifasciatus. The tank is really too small to mix different types of cichlids, due to territory requirements.
+1 if its too small for mbunas then it is way too small for tropheus. What is your tank size, by the way?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a similiar sized tank.... great sized tank for colony of multifasciatus.... or
julidochromis and shell dweller
caudopunctatus and kungweensis
calvus and punctatus/or shell dweller
or dwarf sumbu
about 20 gallons(UK) . . . Inhave had a variety of tananyikan cichlids in there , not all at the same time though, some successful some not so :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha
i seem to get it wrong all the time...i thought they would fit in my tank seeing that there were about ten of 'em in a tank smaller than my tank at an lfs, they didn't seem to be aggressive to each other...
the 72L is 76cm long so there's heaps of space.
it seems all my fav fish won't fit in my tanks :?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:eek: if they are kept in a small tank at the lfs, would it be alright to get some so they can have a bigger tank and if i don't, the chances are that they'll probably end up in an unexperienced person's tank and they probably wont be happy, not to mention surviving...

·
Registered
639 Posts
lovethatcichlid said:
:eek: if they are kept in a small tank at the lfs, would it be alright to get some so they can have a bigger tank and if i don't, the chances are that they'll probably end up in an unexperienced person's tank and they probably wont be happy, not to mention surviving...
They must be very small then? If you are planning on a much larger tank (a 5 foot 100 gallon at least) in the very near future then go for it. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Fish are kept in LFS tanks for a short period of time in unnatural situations with fish being netted, added, taken out etc. constantly. Not a good way to judge how they will work in your tank.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maybe 8 months, but they will continue to fill out after that. I have fry from my bembas born 4 months ago that are 2 inches and already coloring up. My point is with proper care they grow rapidly!

·
Registered
189 Posts
None, unless they are definately going in a bigger tank in the future.....
15-20 is a good starting point for a group :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
It's always better to wait until you get the bigger tank to stock the bigger fish because you never know what will happen in between.

There are lots of cichlids that you could do in a 30" tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.