Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the recommended method for switching tropheus from one type of food to another? I know that doing this can cause bloat so I want to do it carefully.

I'm picking up about 30 Murago fry this evening and would like to (over time) switch them over from what they're being fed currently.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Hey Zimmy.
Congrats on the Muragos, great choice. Try and get some food from the seller to last a week or so. Don't feed them for at least 24 hours, then after a couple of days, add some of the new food in with the old stuff. If you plan on switching them onto nls, you could grind some pellets up and mix it with the other stuff. I would feed sparingly for the first week or so, and keep the lights off for a day or two. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I mail ordered mine twice and did not know what they were fed but went to New Life Spectrum right away. Did not feed for first 24 hours, then went light feedings for a week. Never lost a fish.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Kind of depends on what they were on when you got them. Any good suplier should provide this info and give you some of this food when you order them. Lots of folk think Spirulina flake is best others think it makes little differnce and swith to higher input pellets etc. For sure I do not know which is best they breed fine whatever I give them but hear rapid changes of diet is bad. Lots of folk use Metro soaked food as the first food after getting them. Prob more important than the exact make of the food. Though to be on the safe side, money back kind of thing from the supllier (if they go bloat) I tend to follow what they recomend regardless of which I think is best. Boy do I wish there was a supplier who could give full money back on the bunch if/when I lose a fish. :wink:
All the best James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts