Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone kept a group of tropheus morii coppers with jumbo cyps in a 55 gal tank? it seems the tropheus usually hang out on the lower half of the water column and i have a chance to pick up some cyprichromis leptosoma tricolors, am i setting myself up for future problems, i'd like to be able to have both species breeding thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jumbos shouldn't be put in a 55 gallon. Trophs are hard enough in a 55. I'd say paracyps or non jumbo, but even those may not work in a 55 with trophs. I'd reccomend at least a 75 for either fish. Their diets differ tremendously as well.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
A 55 is pushing it for Trophs, no way I would try to add any other fish to the tank (I would only use that tank as a grow out tank anyway).
Jumbo cyps need bigger tanks also. For what it's worth, I have tried to keep jumbo cyps with Trophs in a 120g, the Trophs removed the cyps fins in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
it seems the tropheus usually hang out on the lower half of the water column
Not true once adults. The males will push the females and sub males into a group well up into the water column. Particularly in a 55. I wouldn't mix trophs with cyps or paracyps myself. I'd probably rethink your stock list or tank size.

·
Registered
318 Posts
mike1234 said:
Jumbos shouldn't be put in a 55 gallon. Trophs are hard enough in a 55. I'd say paracyps or non jumbo, but even those may not work in a 55 with trophs. I'd reccomend at least a 75 for either fish. Their diets differ tremendously as well.
I agree.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what would you recommend with trophs? i have a small group of c. leptosoma livua in a 125 with furcifers, but all they do is hide in the rocks, hardly ever see them, are they not compatible either?

·
Registered
112 Posts
michael l said:
what would you recommend with trophs? i have a small group of c. leptosoma livua in a 125 with furcifers, but all they do is hide in the rocks, hardly ever see them, are they not compatible either?
I don't think it's a good idea to ever keep delicate fish with Tropheus

Only keep things like Gobies with Tropheus or other fish like Leleupi/Julies may work too

I haven't read the entire post but you can keep other fish like Simochromis diagramma etc.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Agree Jumbo Cyps and Tropheus together need a much bigger tank than a 55g a 120g sounds about right.

Sorry rather interested in what a copper is.
I have heard Tropheus sp."Red" (Kachese) called Copper Chest.
Is that what you mean?

I think c. leptosoma livua or Cyprichromis sp. "Leptosoma Jumbo" (Livua) is a Jumbo so quite suprised they hide from your furcifers. Are they still small?

All the best James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts