Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up guys I just wanted to know if anyone out there currently or has keeped this beautiful fish. I currently have some that are breeding in a 135g with other aggressive fish and I have really grown to love this fish. They are always on the move, stunning colors for both m,f and yes they are aggressive but with lots of personality. Any comments? Pics?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I kept Tropheops species a few years ago, Chilumba and Red Cheeks, although not in the same tank. Prolific breeders, my Red Cheek male was crazy I had over 100 fry. He was a beautiful fish, but was very aggressive, particularly with the group of females I kept. I had a pair of Chilumba which would breed, however the female was not very maternal and would kill most of her broods after she released them. To save the fry I had to layer the breeding tank with rocks so the fry had some where to hide. Here are the pics -

Red Cheek Male

Female

Chilumba Male (sorry if the pic is a bit blurred)
I don't think I would keep Tropheops again unless I had a tank the size of yours, a bit too aggressive for my liking. But if anyone wants a reason for keeping them the males have great colours, plus if you get a decent size group of females you'll get lots of fry. :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, nice fish! I love the red cheek too but I really wanted the chilumba type because of there rareness out here in us. But yeah they are aggressive alright lol, but mine seems to be more like a mid level fish darting at his females all day long hehehe. I will try to post some pics when I get a real camera. I know for sure I have 2 females 2 males but I am pretty sure I have 2 more females and 1 more male. I bought 8 total, the male is by far the most colorful mbuna I have owned.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hav a lone adult female, gorgeous color!!!! Been looking for an adult Chilumba male, and not wanting to go WildCaught w/these guys, no breeding plans, just want a pair.
She's peaceful in a 100g w/40 mbuna.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice female, **** bro if I knew how to ship I would ship out my sub male in my tank. He is around 2 half inches. I dont want to take him to the fish store but I might have too. I have alot of fry tho lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have three juveniles from a champion Tropheops Chilumba.
He best in show at both the ITFS and LFKS show 2010. He belonged to the Chairman of out club
and is now in the great big fish bowl in the sky.
Hopefully they end up looking like their father and can compete for Best in show when I decided to
bench them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Similis, I think I read your piece on the Tropheops that won best of show. These fish have sure got my attention,lol. I love to watch them, the male has to be one of the most beatiful mbuna I have ever seen. Crazy colors, only thing is they are little devils.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Outcastgsx said:
Similis, I think I read your piece on the Tropheops that won best of show. These fish have sure got my attention,lol. I love to watch them, the male has to be one of the most beatiful mbuna I have ever seen. Crazy colors, only thing is they are little devils.
My mate owner the winning fish and by God he was a cracker.
Colour, finnage, shape. He had it all. He was also by far the dominant fish in the tank but he
caught this Skinny disease and started to waste away. My mate tried everything from anti internal
bacteria remedies to worming the fish. Eventually he died.
The funny thing was that no other fish in the tank got sick. Maybe is it an auto immune disease.
Who knows..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Correct. Actually, if you look at the post, I said it wasn't the actual fish, because I couldn't get a photo of it. But, I did find a picture on Google Images that was nearly identical to him, but didn't realize it was your fish... Nice looking fish!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That pic was one of the reasons I had to have the chilumba lol. Mine is starting to look like that now. With the change came the devilish behavior hahaha,got to love it. There doesnt seem to be alot of info on them I hope to change that..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well here is a follow up . I got Fry from Outcastgsx --- and here is a quick video of them starting to mature

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good vid Trench, having 3 males in the tank was like ww3 from the small sample I got to see haha. Glad he is turning out to be a beauty for you. This species is not for everyone due to there aggresion but they have for sure grown on me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They will be a staple in my tank for years to come , I would however like to introduce a new blood line soon and raise a new generation. problem is these guys are hard to come by ... and yea as u know thought i would have alittle more time picking a male but they are already destroying each other so I have already decided on the male ill keep the others are gone this weekend

1 - 20 of 24 Posts