Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last Monday I awoke to the sound of a dry filter screaming at me in the middle of the night. I made my way downstairs to find my 55g had sprung a leak. Long story short I got 2 replacement tanks. One for free with a broken center brace. I was able to find a replacement online for cheap and figured what they hay I can try and fix this. The leaky 55 I'm going to try and reseal as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 1
I was able to remove the broken brace and trim this afternoon in about an hour I carefully cut slots on two sides (top and inside) of the trim with a hacksaw about every 6 inches. On the outside of the trim I made a small cut about halfway down the trim. I then took a utility knife and loosened the silicone. To do this I put the knife vertical and angled it towards the trim. After about three passes on the inside of the trim I could pull the top off. It would usually separate from the trim on ththe outside and then I could cut that silicone as well. Repeat until finished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 2 I was able to take a razor blade in go over each lip of the aquarium 4 to 5 times to thoroughly scrape the old silicone off. I used a shop vac periodically to vacuum up the remnants. I used an old toothbrush and acetone to remove finger grease and debris.
I also stripped the silicone on my leaking tank. It was in such poor condition I was able to remove it with my fingers. I then went over each seam again 4 to 5 times and vacuumed repeatedly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 3 I bought a tube of clear GE silicone 1 window and door this morning. I cleared the seams with acetone. Waited for it to dry and then applied the silicone. After applying a bead I used my finger to level it out. It is currently curing. This was quite messy but I just left whatever mess i made to remove later after it cures. I worked from bottom to top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 4
After letting the leaky tank cure for 30 hours I filled it with water. It has been about 20 minutes and there are no noticeable leaks. I plan on letting it sit for 1 month (weather permitting) or so with water in it.
The brace arrived for the other tank and after making sure it would fit I wiped the inside lip of the new brace and the glass one more time with acetone. I waited for that to dry and applied a bead of silicone to the new brace and put it on the tank. I then piled various "heavy" things on it to help it seal. I had no spill over of silicone which is nice. I'll let it cure until this time tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They both have held water for 2 weeks but unfortunately the temperatures here are down in the low 40's. I am being proactive and draining and moving them inside for the winter.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
Glad to hear your repairs have worked out well and the leak test results sound great! Good call on draining and moving tanks indoor, we've also had a few chilly nights lately.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top