Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up 10 Moba Gibberosas this weekend about an hour away from my home. The fish are in the 5" to 8" range. The person I'm buying them from suggested I use a couple of plastic totes to transport them.

Anything I need to worry about in terms of the plastic leaching into the water over this short time period? Is there another way to make this move? I've usually used 5G plastic food grade buckets when moving fish but the number of large fish I'm getting may make it difficult to fit more than 2-3 buckets in my little car.

Looking for some advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
Hey Zimmy. Long time no see. Hope all is well. I have used the large rubbermaid totes before to p/u large groups of Tropheus before. I used the regular ones that you can get at H.D, Canadian tire etc.You could probably fit two on your back seat and one on the passenger side.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
I've not personally used totes or needed to move large fish such as you want to but I see no reason why totes would not work or not be safe to use. If you use new totes, just rinse them out well to remove debris and some of that 'new' plastic odor. You will need lids on the totes and you probably won't be able to fill them more than 1/2 full or otherwise they will slosh all over your car.

If you have access to a local fish store or fish club member, they may have some fish styrofoam boxes with large shipping bags available. These would be ideal as they are large and you can rubber band the bags closed and have no water leaks in the car.

Some people also use soft drink coolers to transport large fish or multiple large fish but they are much bulkier than totes or styros and more expensive and difficult to store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
noddy said:
Hey Zimmy. Long time no see. Hope all is well. I have used the large rubbermaid totes before to p/u large groups of Tropheus before. I used the regular ones that you can get at H.D, Canadian tire etc.You could probably fit two on your back seat and one on the passenger side.
Hey Noddy! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you too! Still focusing your hobby on Tropheus? Last we connected you had a 220G with a broken brace you were trying to get fixed. Did that get sorted out?

Deeda said:
I've not personally used totes or needed to move large fish such as you want to but I see no reason why totes would not work or not be safe to use. If you use new totes, just rinse them out well to remove debris and some of that 'new' plastic odor. You will need lids on the totes and you probably won't be able to fill them more than 1/2 full or otherwise they will slosh all over your car.

If you have access to a local fish store or fish club member, they may have some fish styrofoam boxes with large shipping bags available. These would be ideal as they are large and you can rubber band the bags closed and have no water leaks in the car.
Thanks Dee! I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to take them all the livestock from my current tank. I know the owner fairly well and I'm sure he'll help out with styrofoam boxes and plastic bags if they have any. Great idea! If not, I'll get the totes Noddy has suggested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
zimmy said:
noddy said:
Hey Zimmy. Long time no see. Hope all is well. I have used the large rubbermaid totes before to p/u large groups of Tropheus before. I used the regular ones that you can get at H.D, Canadian tire etc.You could probably fit two on your back seat and one on the passenger side.
Hey Noddy! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you too! Still focusing your hobby on Tropheus? Last we connected you had a 220G with a broken brace you were trying to get fixed. Did that get sorted out?

Deeda said:
I've not personally used totes or needed to move large fish such as you want to but I see no reason why totes would not work or not be safe to use. If you use new totes, just rinse them out well to remove debris and some of that 'new' plastic odor. You will need lids on the totes and you probably won't be able to fill them more than 1/2 full or otherwise they will slosh all over your car.

If you have access to a local fish store or fish club member, they may have some fish styrofoam boxes with large shipping bags available. These would be ideal as they are large and you can rubber band the bags closed and have no water leaks in the car.
Thanks Dee! I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to take them all the livestock from my current tank. I know the owner fairly well and I'm sure he'll help out with styrofoam boxes and plastic bags if they have any. Great idea! If not, I'll get the totes Noddy has suggested.
All the Tropheus are gone now. I fixed the 210g, put a background in it and stocked it with Foai and cyps/paracyps. I had some Tricoti for a while. Got rid of all the other tanks.
I'll probably go back to Tropheus at some point ;)
Good luck with the move.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top