Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I'm thinking too much into this, but I am purchasing a 155 bow front from Craigslist and I will be moving it with a pickup truck in freezing temperatures. Will the temperature change from the house to the outside, along with a roughly 2 hour drive, and then back into my house, cause any damage to the glass (crack it)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If it was hot it would crack the glass, but cold you might be dealing with re-sealing the silicone because the cold makes the glass smaller which pulls on the silicone. You could fill it with blankets or foam. :thumb: :thumb:
hope that helps and might I ask what is going in that tank. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
you should be fine.. as said seals will most likely need to be redone but other wise once its back in the house out of the cold let it sit for at least 2-3 hours before putting any water in it to test the seals.... the shock of the water would be what to watch for...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Not sure what I'm doing with it yet.

I was hoping not to have to reseal it since it is a brand new tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will the glass expand/contract enough to have to re-seal? I would think the movement would be insignificant. (but i could be wrong)

·
Registered
106 Posts
SuperBro, I Just hauled a new 75 home from the LFS last Saturday in the back of my truck and it was frigid cold. I was a little nervous like yourself but I filled it the next day with no problems, I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i guess we are assuming the tank was previously filled for a while and the seals would freeze .... with a used tank i always re-do the seals any way

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've never done it, so just a guess, but I think the tank will be fine. I remember seeing a thread about storing an empty tank out in the garage for the winter. More than one person chimed in and said they've done it without damage to the tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. It is a brand new tank. 155 Black bow front with black pine stand for $450...good deal? I think so.

I plan on wrapping the tank with blankets and then with plastic wrap to hold it tight. Hope it makes it!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Manufacturers ship their tanks in any weather often for very long distances. I don't think you need to worry about the glass or the silicone.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree 100% with BillD. That was the first thing that came to my mind was that All Glass is located in Wisconsin. I'm sure they ship year round.
Jman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts